No announcement yet.

GNOME Console Could Be Ubuntu 22.10's GNOME Terminal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With these kind of "improvements" I'm glad I'm using KDE.
    BTW, anyone knows how does either of these 2 Gnome's terminals compare with KDE's terminal (Konsole)?
    On the KDE side, I know that Konsole supports profiles, tabs, monitoring for silence, activity and process finished, Emojis.
    In case anyone wonders what is the Emoji support good for, I can customize the command prompt to show sa smiling or sad face depending if the previous command was successful or not.

Comment

I totally understand wanting a dead-simple barebones console as default. What I wish we had for power users was a hybrid of GNOME Terminal and Tilix. That tiling mode is so handy.

Comment

I really can't understand how could anyone like Gnome Console in its current state.
        It's also interesting that Ubuntu adopts it before Fedora, because it's usually more conservative in adopting new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?
          I sent a patch that adds support for palettes, but... it's still in the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            With these kind of "improvements" I'm glad I'm using KDE.
            BTW, anyone knows how does either of these 2 Gnome's terminals compare with KDE's terminal (Konsole)?
            On the KDE side, I know that Konsole supports profiles, tabs, monitoring for silence, activity and process finished, Emojis.
            In case anyone wonders what is the Emoji support good for, I can customize the command prompt to show sa smiling or sad face depending if the previous command was successful or not.
            I don't really know about Console, but Terminal has support for all of the features you mentioned except for monitoring. Why should a terminal have support for such a thing? You can easily accomplish this using some shell script (I have tried it for process finished myself).

Comment

Having tabs and whatnot doesn't make something complicated, it's essential functionality. I need an underline cursor that doesn't blink because it's annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                I really can't understand how could anyone like Gnome Console in its current state.
                It's also interesting that Ubuntu adopts it before Fedora, because it's usually more conservative in adopting new stuff.
                FWIW, Fedora developers looked at this before -> https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/261 looks like it has functionality gaps including lack of profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?
                  Only light/dark.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

It is recommended for the casual terminal user, not "power users" according to gnome-console's gitlab page:
                    I wonder: who is a "casual terminal user"? The Average Joe, if at all using Linux, is afraid of the terminal anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
                      It's just average and for the average user - so make it default! Gnome logic. So Gnome users are average users?
                      I was under the impression they had not users, but test subjects. And they do horrible experiments on them, like how much abuse they can tolerate while still praising Gnome in the KDE vs Gnome wars. Turned out it is a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X