Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mangeek
    replied
    I totally understand wanting a dead-simple barebones console as default. What I wish we had for power users was a hybrid of GNOME Terminal and Tilix. That tiling mode is so handy.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    With these kind of "improvements" I'm glad I'm using KDE.
    BTW, anyone knows how does either of these 2 Gnome's terminals compare with KDE's terminal (Konsole)?
    On the KDE side, I know that Konsole supports profiles, tabs, monitoring for silence, activity and process finished, Emojis.
    In case anyone wonders what is the Emoji support good for, I can customize the command prompt to show sa smiling or sad face depending if the previous command was successful or not.

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    It's just average and for the average user - so make it default! Gnome logic. So Gnome users are average users?

Leave a comment:

• EvilHowl
    replied
    Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?
    You can only switch between dark and light themes. It's still lacking some features like a read-only mode, changing the cursor blink, and things like that (which I don't really use on a daily basis, but they come in handy from time to time).

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said that I would replace GNOME Terminal with it right away, though I imagine those features will arrive if they really want people to use it over the classic GNOME Terminal.

Blackbox offers much more customization.
    Last edited by EvilHowl; 02 August 2022, 08:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rob72
    replied
    I had a brief look at gnome console when Fedora 36 was released and quickly removed it again.

I want profiles, being able to change my terminal colours, size, etc and being able to set the encoding to name just a few. And gnome console at the time had none of them. It was way too simplistic.

And I want my terminal to be readable, so the last thing I want is transparency.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Here is the obvious question: why not update the older program with the new features, instead of trowing out a perfectly functional program and starting all over again?
    Because GNOME doesn't just ascribe to the CADT model of development, they're what it was coined for.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Here is the obvious question: why not update the older program with the new features, instead of trowing out a perfectly functional program and starting all over again?
    Because sometimes a old codebase really reeks. All the main code is in the VTE library anyways, its just a UI for it. So why not start with a clean fresh one.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied

Leave a comment:

• er888kh
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

That's probably because at the time of writing the README, the GTK4 VTE bindings were not ready and had missing features.

I have just installed it from the latest git sources and it is SO pretty and modern compared to the old GNOME Terminal. Can't wait to replace it when it's stable.
    Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?

Leave a comment:

• EvilHowl
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

It is recommended for the casual terminal user, not "power users" according to gnome-console's gitlab page:
    That's probably because at the time of writing the README, the GTK4 VTE bindings were not ready and had missing features.

I have just installed it from the latest git sources and it is SO pretty and modern compared to the old GNOME Terminal. Can't wait to replace it when it's stable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X