Linux Mint 21 Released - Built Atop Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
    From a technological design standpoint Cinnamon is bad, but there is no doubt that it provides the best user experience by far.
    It really only proves one thing. Take Gnome 3(A ancient version from 2012 non the less which "critics" called unusable), slap a new name on it and bake some extensions right in and people will love it. Its the same mutter, just an ancient version and its the same gnome shell, just with some extensions baked in.

The problem is that since 2012 and now, a lot happened especially on the mutter side and Cinnamon is missing all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
      UT, nowadays I avoid Snap, I don't want Firefox as Snap so I'm "boycotting" by not using it at all (I use fedora on my primary PC and Xubuntu 20 on a old laptop).
      There are still some challenges with Snap, but all beginnings are difficult.

Canonical made a lot of improvements for the Firefox snap and this should be recognised. For me the main problem with the Firefox snap is the missing wayland support, so it's unsharp when using fractional scaling. But I'm sure that gets fixed in the future, when Mozilla officially introduces Wayland, until then I will use Xorg.

Nevertheless the future of modern Linux lies in containerised OSes. (open)SUSE, Fedora, RHEL will all use containered applications in future. Canonical does now important groundwork with their snaps, so they may have some disadvantages now, but it's better when they getfixed now instead of later. Wayland also had its big problems at the beginning, but now the banana is slowly turning yellow.

Linux Mint will have big problems in the future if it continues to ignore modern technologies. These include Wayland, GTK4, containerised applications and also the general state of Cinnamon.

The advantages of Snaps and Flatpaks are permission control, sandboxing, clean installing, updating and the deleting of the package and I can avoid installing hundred of old dependencies in my main system, e.g. when install GIMP 2 with GTK2 or a Wine-based software with its endless lib32 dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
        I didn't expect them to actually rebase the window manager, but it was much needed since that ran on ancient code. Though I'm still frustrated that the shell cannot be rendered with any window manager other than their homegrown solution.
        From a technological design standpoint Cinnamon is bad, but there is no doubt that it provides the best user experience by far.
        In the Cinnamon vs. Plasma battle, team KDE seems just as easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

In the Cinnamon vs. Plasma battle, team KDE seems just as easy to use.
          My dream is a "KDE Lite" version that removes the thousand unnecessary configuration options that make the system heavy and error-prone.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
            My dream is a "KDE Lite" version that removes the thousand unnecessary configuration options that make the system heavy and error-prone.
            Just use gnome its what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Just use gnome its what you want.
              Currently I use Gnome because of that.

But I would prefer a Windows-like DE with Qt. Yes, there is LxQT, but that's not a full desktop, bugged
              and is trapped within old technologies.

Comment

Working...
              X