Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 21 Released - Built Atop Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Phoronix: Linux Mint 21 Released - Built Atop Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Linux Mint 21 has been officially released as the newest version of this popular desktop Linux distribution built atop Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first, I didn't like the way they removed snap on it, making impossible to the user install chromium, of course they fixed some months after, but this leave a bad taste.

BUT, nowadays I avoid Snap, I don't want Firefox as Snap so I'm "boycotting" by not using it at all (I use fedora on my primary PC and Xubuntu 20 on a old laptop).

So Linux Mint is probably the best way to you have a Snap free distro based on Ubuntu 22.

Comment

I didn't expect them to actually rebase the window manager, but it was much needed since that ran on ancient code. Though I'm still frustrated that the shell cannot be rendered with any window manager other than their homegrown solution.
      From a technological design standpoint Cinnamon is bad, but there is no doubt that it provides the best user experience by far.

Comment

I think Linux Mint is the best distro deb packages based.

Comment

I use Mint XFCE. Currently 20.3, but waiting for them to publish instructions to upgrade an existing install. If I had been on the 21 beta, I would already be upgraded. But Stable is a better fit for myself. I will wait.

Comment

What version of mutter was muffin based on? Did they ever rebase since the split from gnome?

Comment

OK, time to get it on a testing box. Then in a fortnight or so, I can think about upgrading other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
                At first, I didn't like the way they removed snap on it, making impossible to the user install chromium, of course they fixed some months after, but this leave a bad taste.

BUT, nowadays I avoid Snap, I don't want Firefox as Snap so I'm "boycotting" by not using it at all (I use fedora on my primary PC and Xubuntu 20 on a old laptop).

So Linux Mint is probably the best way to you have a Snap free distro based on Ubuntu 22.
                There's also Pop!_OS. Uses flatpaks & regular debs. Many packages are either/or if you prefer flatpak or native package. I still prefer Mint simply because it's what I've been using as a daily. It fits my needs. I use Pop on a testing machine playing around with the limits of flatpak without getting in the way of my daily work (because it has).

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post

It is still possible to install snaps on Linux Mint, I have several installed on my LM PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexDumi29 View Post
                    What version of mutter was muffin based on? Did they ever rebase since the split from gnome?
                    To my knowledge it was never rebased before, only some fixes were brought in from mutter. I don't know the exact version, but the split happened early 2012 when mutter was still a new project... so muffin had a lot of technical debt. You can also tell from how muffin only has about 1000 commits when mutter has 29,000.

Comment

Working...
                    X