Fedora's Robotics, Games & Security Spins At Risk Of Being Dropped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Robotics, Games & Security Spins At Risk Of Being Dropped

Phoronix: Fedora's Robotics, Games & Security Spins At Risk Of Being Dropped

There are a few Fedora Spins/Labs versions at risk of being removed with Fedora 37 this autumn unless new maintainers step up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm for dropping the Games spin. It's pointless to provide a spin full of various niche games that one won't play most of them.

Comment

Perhaps https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Games_Lab and https://nobaraproject.org/ should merge? I think the games spin being more gaming-oriented would make it more popular.

Comment

Spins that merely "showcase applications" are stupid anyway. Those don't even look to optimize core libraries and perhaps default to alternative, patched versions, similar to Nobara Fedora Remix https://nobaraproject.org/ does.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
          I'm for dropping the Games spin. It's pointless to provide a spin full of various niche games that one won't play most of them.
          Especially with the ISO size limitations and how everything done in the Games spin can be done via a fedora-games-meta package. If it quit limiting its size to optical disks, had the option of being a persistent live model like the Security Spin, and was combined with the Nobara Project like suggested above then it would be a worthy successor to the current status quo. If all that was done we'd end up with a gaming optimized OS that could be installed to a USB stick. People could take their OS, user, games, and saves with them wherever they went.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Especially with the ISO size limitations and how everything done in the Games spin can be done via a fedora-games-meta package. If it quit limiting its size to optical disks, had the option of being a persistent live model like the Security Spin, and was combined with the Nobara Project like suggested above then it would be a worthy successor to the current status quo. If all that was done we'd end up with a gaming optimized OS that could be installed to a USB stick. People could take their OS, user, games, and saves with them wherever they went.
            Nobara looks pretty interesting, I might give it a try when I need to reinstall Fedora. It kind of feels like what ReviOS is to Windows 10/11

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

Nobara looks pretty interesting, I might give it a try when I need to reinstall Fedora. It kind of feels like what ReviOS is to Windows 10/11
              Tell me about it. Its list of fixes and whatnot is essentially all the tweaks I do on Arch or Manjaro while simultaneously dealing with all the issues I have with default Fedora installations.

Comment

As many have already said, having Thomas Crider (a.k.a. GloriousEggroll to folks familiar with his Proton work) take over the Games spin feels like a no-brainer, assuming he has enough time. He works for Red Hat. He already pours time into Nobara. I worry about the (almost) lone developer hit by bus aspect of Nobara, but maybe having it be a bit more official would attract more contributors and make the project more sustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                  Perhaps https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Games_Lab and https://nobaraproject.org/ should merge? I think the games spin being more gaming-oriented would make it more popular.
                  I don't think that's possible, given that Nobara was pretty much created as a workaround to Fedora's policy on licenses. Does Fedora's policy have the flexibility that would allow Nobara's approach of "put in all the license agreement before downloading the ISO, so that they can put in all the packages needed for running games pre-installed," to be accepted?

In addition, recently the work on Nobara has been to scrub the Fedora branding out, so I don't think there's much interest in the GE side either.

Comment

Originally posted by TuesdayPogo View Post

I don't think that's possible, given that Nobara was pretty much created as a workaround to Fedora's policy on licenses. Does Fedora's policy have the flexibility that would allow Nobara's approach of "put in all the license agreement before downloading the ISO, so that they can put in all the packages needed for running games pre-installed," to be accepted?

In addition, recently the work on Nobara has been to scrub the Fedora branding out, so I don't think there's much interest in the GE side either.
                    The majority of Nobara can be ported to Fedora. Pretty much everything under "Bug fixes and gaming-oriented updates" can be used by Fedora without worrying about licenses. Most of the stuff under "General usage improvements" could be used as well. For the most part, that's good enough in regards to showing off native Linux gaming performance as well as comparing performance between regular and gaming edition setups.

From there the user would have to enable RPMFusion and add some extra repos in regards to using codecs, games/clients, Wine, and other such things that the Fedora licensing policy restricts in order to make it equivalent with Nobara.

Comment

Working...
                    X