Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 7.13 Converts Its USB Driver To PE Format, Brings Theming Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    That’s a rebase, if you scroll down you can see commits from a week ago.
    It’s more accurate here https://gitlab.collabora.com/alf/wine/activity.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

      I don't think anyone is going to put in the effort to make a dead browser work in Wine.
      IE is still alive via "Internet Explorer mode" in Microsoft Edge. It probably gets marginally updated to support modern HTTPS/SSL/TLS connections, newer certificates and address any emerging security issues. It enables access to services using ActiveX components, like IP camera systems (CCTV, DVR/PVR, NVR etc.) or legacy websites that are using the old version of Autodesk MapGuide (the state administration of Slovakia was using it till June 2022, for example) and many IE dependent desktop apps and games. Support for "IE mode" will be continued at least through 2029 (see here and here).

      WINE is used to run many old games and legacy Windows apps, so it makes sense to improve IE/MSHTML/COM interface support in WINE. The Linux version of Microsoft Edge lacks "IE mode" support. Getting the Windows version of Microsoft Edge working in Linux/WINE, together with its IE compatibility, would help in migrating some organizations to Linux.

      In recent years, I was explicitly asked for enabling "IE mode" support on the computers in the architect design office, automobile workshop and translation agency. So yeah, IE is not completely dead yet.

      Comment


      • #13
        I wonder when it will be possible to run 32 bit applications on Wine without using 32 bit libraries. Aside from Steam it's the only software I'm using that requires 32 bit libraries. I also have some older Linux games that are 32 bit but I guess I can run Windows version of those on Wine. I'm pretty close to pure 64 bit OS.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by dawid.mlyn View Post

          IE is still alive via "Internet Explorer mode" in Microsoft Edge. It probably gets marginally updated to support modern HTTPS/SSL/TLS connections, newer certificates and address any emerging security issues. It enables access to services using ActiveX components, like IP camera systems (CCTV, DVR/PVR, NVR etc.) or legacy websites that are using the old version of Autodesk MapGuide (the state administration of Slovakia was using it till June 2022, for example) and many IE dependent desktop apps and games. Support for "IE mode" will be continued at least through 2029 (see here and here).

          WINE is used to run many old games and legacy Windows apps, so it makes sense to improve IE/MSHTML/COM interface support in WINE. The Linux version of Microsoft Edge lacks "IE mode" support. Getting the Windows version of Microsoft Edge working in Linux/WINE, together with its IE compatibility, would help in migrating some organizations to Linux.

          In recent years, I was explicitly asked for enabling "IE mode" support on the computers in the architect design office, automobile workshop and translation agency. So yeah, IE is not completely dead yet.
          like munich?

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
            I wonder when it will be possible to run 32 bit applications on Wine without using 32 bit libraries. Aside from Steam it's the only software I'm using that requires 32 bit libraries. I also have some older Linux games that are 32 bit but I guess I can run Windows version of those on Wine. I'm pretty close to pure 64 bit OS.
            As far as I know, that's what the PE porting is for.
            Technically, when everything will be ported to PE executables, we won't need 32-bit libraries, for the joy of our updates

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              I'd be real impressed if one day they can get the windows store working and by extension the windows games subscription service (not cloud).
              Allot of people won't move to linux or even try it because they depend (unfortunately) on the windows games subscription service (pc and xbox)
              I would have to disagree with this statement. People aren't moving to Linux not because of some gaming service. The vast majority of people gaming these days are 100% console based and typically dont have a PC they could game on. Whats keeping people from converting is more on the usability side. To put it bluntly Libre Office and the likes are fully and totally crap compared to the total domination of Microsoft Office suite. If they could get modern versions of MS Office working seamlessly that would move far more people.

              Second to that start to get other business apps like Bluebeam and even really advanced things like Revit or SolidWorks thats what will move people.

              Lastly... Linux on the whole just sucks from a user perspective because "Linux" (i.e the current development base) cares nothing for a unified end user experience. This comment is being written in Linux, but I would not force any of my family members onto it.

              Just look at the train wreck that is the attempt to transition from X to Wayland, or the religious hatred of Nvidia (and numerous other similar companies) by several key people working on Linux. Until these people start to understand the end desktop user and adapt to them very few people will move to Linux on the desktop.

              So take this rant with a grain of salt too... it is a rant... and Linux has made HUGE progress in the last 10 - 15 yrs, and Wine/Proton have been a huge part of that lately.

              Comment


              • #17
                Why does Wine need a USB driver? Doesn't the underlying OS already take care of that?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  Why does Wine need a USB driver? Doesn't the underlying OS already take care of that?
                  Yes the os does, nut unfortunately its nowhere nere windows compatible. There is a lot of windows software designed for the windows usb stack. The one i ran into personally was trying to get a Silluette CNC cutter working on wine. The software ran perfectly buy coild not commuunicate with the utter over USB.
                  Last edited by zexelon; 17 July 2022, 09:33 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    What else needs to be converted to PE?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
                      What else needs to be converted to PE?
                      opengl32 and openal32
                      https://gist.github.com/rmi1974/f554...omment-4233645

                      Do we get rid of stuff like that then: https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Biarch_Wine_On_Ubuntu ?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X