Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.12 Released With Theming For Qt5 Apps, VKD3D v1.4

Phoronix: Wine 7.12 Released With Theming For Qt5 Apps, VKD3D v1.4

Wine 7.12 is out as the newest development release of this program for running Windows games and applications under Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Qt 5 theming addition is interesting.
    How does it work? Does it make Windows Qt apps look native on KDE or something?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I am afraid that means "make Windows Qt apps look like Wine default Win95 theme"

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        I am afraid that means "make Windows Qt apps look like Wine default Win95 theme"
        I wish they could fix their GTK3 theming, even it would look better than win95 crap.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          The Qt 5 theming addition is interesting.
          Given that Qt themes are dynamic libraries, I'm hoping that they've done something akin to ndiswrapper or Pipelight where shim DLLs proxy the APIs to the equivalent Linux .so file and expose the QPainter instances from the Windows Qt to it, similar to what they do for everything else they delegate to system libraries, but easier since it should be the same API surface, not needing something like Win32→POSIX or Direct3D→OpenGL translation.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 01 July 2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I'm curious whether I'm the only one who's been using wine every day for decades, but mostly for small apps instead of games. I use eMule a lot, and also UltraVNC, P7Zip-zstandard, Notepad++, Sumatra PDF, plus a number of other small niceties which i find more convenient for specific tasks or just plain better than their current linux alternatives (eg. eMule, SumatraPDF).

Comment

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post
              I'm curious whether I'm the only one who's been using wine every day for decades, but mostly for small apps instead of games. I use eMule a lot, and also UltraVNC, P7Zip-zstandard, Notepad++, Sumatra PDF, plus a number of other small niceties which i find more convenient for specific tasks or just plain better than their current linux alternatives (eg. eMule, SumatraPDF).
              IrfanView, foobar2000, TagScanner. I wish they would exist in native Linux versions. These applications are just better and not an effect of me being used to them.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                I wish they could fix their GTK3 theming, even it would look better than win95 crap.
                Totally agree with that.

Comment

I try hard to go as open-source as possible, but I did accumulate a few:
                  • Certain utilities for manipulating game resource bundles where there are no Linux equivalents. (eg. Extracting BGM tracks from versions of Unity resource bundles not supported by the open-source tooling so I don't have to pay for music twice or the Microsoft tool needed to decode the specific variant of WMA used by the Monkey Island special editions as part of the scripts to build the Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Edition resources for ScummVM.)
                  • Exact Audio Copy (for discs that morituri/whipper has trouble with)
                  • The host tooling for my GBA flash cart
                  • The tool to download MIDI files into my Yamaha keyboard's built-in song memory
                  • Project64 for games like Donkey Kong 64 which Mupen64Plus has trouble with
                  • Various StuffIt for Windows versions for generating integration test files for things that use The Unarchiver's open-source unar/lsar CLI tools

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                  IrfanView, foobar2000, TagScanner. I wish they would exist in native Linux versions. These applications are just better and not an effect of me being used to them.
                  As an Audacious Media Player user, I'm curious what foobar2k features you specifically need that they don't have. (I don't dispute that foobar2k has them, I'm just curious which ones.)
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 02 July 2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

As a KDE user, I find it helps a surprising amount if I toss this in a wine_breeze_colors.reg file and merge it:

Code:
                    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
                    "ActiveBorder"="239 240 241"
                    "ActiveTitle"="71 80 87"
                    "AppWorkSpace"="239 240 241"
                    "Background"="26 26 26"
                    "ButtonAlternateFace"="179 180 181"
                    "ButtonDkShadow"="248 249 249"
                    "ButtonFace"="239 240 241"
                    "ButtonHilight"="248 249 249"
                    "ButtonLight"="179 180 181"
                    "ButtonShadow"="179 180 181"
                    "ButtonText"="0 0 0"
                    "GradientActiveTitle"="71 80 87"
                    "GradientInactiveTitle"="239 240 241"
                    "GrayText"="100 101 102"
                    "Hilight"="61 174 233"
                    "HilightText"="255 255 255"
                    "HotTrackingColor"="61 174 233"
                    "InactiveBorder"="239 240 241"
                    "InactiveTitle"="239 240 241"
                    "InactiveTitleText"="189 195 195"
                    "InfoText"="0 0 0"
                    "InfoWindow"="255 255 225"
                    "Menu"="248 249 249"
                    "MenuBar"="239 240 241"
                    "MenuHilight"="61 174 233"
                    "MenuText"="0 0 0"
                    "Scrollbar"="239 240 241"
                    "TitleText"="255 255 255"
                    "Window"="255 255 255"
                    "WindowFrame"="179 180 181"
                    "WindowText"="0 0 0"
                    ...I suppose there's precedent for the color scheme being the most important part for something fitting in, given how many people tolerate things like Electron apps.

Comment

Working...
                    X