Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thunderbird 102 Released With Big Improvements To This Leading Open-Source Mail Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird 102 Released With Big Improvements To This Leading Open-Source Mail Client

Phoronix: Thunderbird 102 Released With Big Improvements To This Leading Open-Source Mail Client

After what has felt like years of neglect and little progress in advancing this open-source mail/communications client, Thunderbird 102 is out today with some shiny new features and a lot of UI refinements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very happy about Thunderbird. It packs just the right features. AND it works great on wayland. One of the few GTK applications where everything scales correctly to HiDPI too.

Comment

I am stuck on Thunderbird 60.9.1 as after that version the Firetray add-on was no longer working - and there is no reasonable replacement.
      How can an E-Mail-Client exist not capable of directly showing the number of unread messages?
      E-Mail is the professional communication - which may be relevant in court - no phone call, no twitter, no discord ...
      Not being able to "end" it with functionality of just sitting in the Panel as number of unread messages?
      I think that Mozilla totally ruined this nice E-Mail-Client.
      Showing unread messages in simple form was possible with FVWM in mid 1990-ies ... so this is abolutely crazy.
      "Leading Open Source Mail Client" for a program which was alive when arguing about support in danger while
      now it is just no longer providing basic functionality since a long time ... or is this feature available now?
      One could not speak of quality of live when the main feature was killed!

But GNOME is lacking many functionalities even available in CDE ... so this is a common problem today.
      Devices are called to be smart - humans seems to have transferred that to their devices which rule now.
      Thunderbird is even worse than Firefox - there was a time I checked all shown HTML text concerning HTML conformance - automatically,
      which is available with current FF only when clicking a lot - for each single page ... thanks, Mozilla.
      So for web masters, one has to rely on other services - while web browsers were used for many cases and configured to the users liking,
      currently one can only browse. That means one can use latest FF 102 - as a web browser is no longer a central program ... - and
      wide functionality is no longer expected.
      These negative changes were all explained by higher security - security ??? - no, not quite!
      It is similar to Chrome - which is a mere "app" suited for tiny devices - but for Google this is understandable.
      Maybe also for Mozilla which was sponsored heavily by Google when some of these changes were done ...

And reiterating the beautiful world when using Wayland - which still lacks important features - is just a common phaenomenon ...
      Quality seems to be unheard of these days ... and "security" is a reason for doing stupid things ... similar to "national security":
      a tern any argument has to seize and thinking has to stop. One has to follow ... the leader ... just knowing one's place obeying the master.
      If security is lost, security is used frequently ... also a common phaenomenon for other terms.
      Like quality of life for programs no longer working on current HW ... no longer providing basic functionality ...
      Sometimes one should ask who is pulling the strings ...

Comment

it's been rather disappointing seeing ... a lack of overall user enthusiasm around it.
        If I could massively reduce the resources it requires I might use it again. But that's not happening. It's a bloated browser masquerading as an email client. It's like putting an elephant in a bikini.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

It's a bloated browser masquerading as an email client.
          As a regular user of thunderbird, I agree. All this release has done is add two methods to access the spaces feature that I don't care about.
          Naturally, you can't remove those elements.

Comment

Still no multiline in message list to get a proper vertical layout and proper productivity ?
            It is a 19 years old feature request, and wider screen is a thing since at least 10 years...

Comment

Originally posted by lox_ View Post
              Still no multiline in message list to get a proper vertical layout and proper productivity ?
              It is a 19 years old feature request, and wider screen is a thing since at least 10 years...
              Wow, that thread on that bug is quite interesting to read! So many stops and starts over the years. This is not a UI element that I personally care about, but the thread is quite instructive on the difficulties of developing a large community-driven open source project.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

If I could massively reduce the resources it requires I might use it again. But that's not happening. It's a bloated browser masquerading as an email client. It's like putting an elephant in a bikini.
                ^This^ Exactly this.

Comment

I like Thunderbird and use it every day. It’s allowed me to seamlessly move between OSes multiple times in the past by just copying the user folder, has some excellent addons and features.

I’m not sure about consuming resources, one of the machines I use it on is a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM and it runs fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                    I am stuck on Thunderbird 60.9.1 as after that version the Firetray add-on was no longer working - and there is no reasonable replacement.
                    I totally agree with tray icon being a must for such an application.
                    Luckily there's also Birdtray which works with all the recent releases, even the nightly one, so maybe you'll be able to update now

Comment

Working...
                    X