Git 2.37 Released With Sparse Index Feature Now Ready For Widespread Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, other VCSes are still around, but really, until Git, they didn't even track files properly (e.g. rename a file in svn, watch your commit history disappear). And I've almost forgot about the days I had to track down which team member locked the svn file I needed to check in. They're still around, but they're now relegated to the niches they deserve.
    Plenty of other VCSes did track renames just fine and in some cases better than Git's heuristics. Your experience may have been tainted by SVN.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I love programming and work professionally as a developer. Git is not user-friendly though. Other people agree, which is why there have been attempts to create other SCM like Fossil and Pijul.
      And yet those projects arent only not nearly as popular as Git, they lack enough traction to survive and are dying.

Mercurial, Veracity, Darcs,Bazaar, ArX, Monotone, Breezy...

(The list goes on and on and if you find conscientiously, you can find tons of more really weird ones. Proprietary ones aren't considered, but they are even more niche too)

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Plenty of other VCSes did track renames just fine and in some cases better than Git's heuristics. Your experience may have been tainted by SVN.
        What can I say, when I met svn, it was an improvement. Imagine that...

Comment

You sound smart when you make these allegations against a fledging project. Less so against an established powerhouse like Git. Git singlehandedly put svn and other VCSes to greener pastures.
          Sure, it has its rough edges, but nowhere near as bad as you make it sound.
          Yes, Git revolutionized the VCS, it was distributed, was written by Linus so it got a lot of hype, and GitHub popularized it with the masses, it killed the competition and became dominant, but maybe it is not so good. Maybe it is good for those Linux kernel programmer neckbeards, but less so for ordinary people.

You are going a bit too far. Yes, Git is very popular but there are certainly other VCSes that continue to have fairly wide use. This includes SVN, Mercurial and even Perforce. OP tends to be very repetitive by posting this same criticism on every project on every single post with a nugget of validity to it. Yes, git UI has some warts. People use it just fine anyway because of the other benefits. If anyone cares so much, they should submit PRs. They accept changes just fine as long as backward compatibility is preserved.
          The only ones who still use SVN, Mercurial and Perforce are the losers who haven't yet migrated to Git and are stuck. Nobody would pick SVN over Git today.

Comment

The only ones who still use SVN, Mercurial and Perforce are the losers who haven't yet migrated to Git and are stuck. Nobody would pick SVN over Git today.
            Other VCSes are used by major tech companies like Google, Facebook and IBM. People have other use cases that Git doesn't do that well. For example, large binary artifacts used by gaming companies. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Comment

Yes, Git revolutionized the VCS, it was distributed, was written by Linus so it got a lot of hype, and GitHub popularized it with the masses, it killed the competition and became dominant, but maybe it is not so good. Maybe it is good for those Linux kernel programmer neckbeards, but less so for ordinary people.
              That's self contradicting. Unless you meant that GitHub and "the masses" use Git only for Linux kernel development.

Unfortunately not. Plenty of people use Git to to trunk based development, just like they did with their previous VCS

Comment

Other VCSes are used by major tech companies like Google, Facebook and IBM. People have other use cases that Git doesn't do that well. For example, large binary artifacts used by gaming companies. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
                Because large binary artifacts totally belong in VCS and it's Git's fault for not supporting them properly...

Comment

Because large binary artifacts totally belong in VCS and it's Git's fault for not supporting them properly...
                  In the gaming industry for example, their gaming artifacts are part of their source and they do want it version controlled. As long as Git doesn't work well for that, they will continue using other VCSes for this purpose. Also this is just one example. There are plenty of other use cases where git is ill suited for the job and that's ok. Don't be religious about your tools.

Comment

I love programming and work professionally as a developer. Git is not user-friendly though. Other people agree, which is why there have been attempts to create other SCM like Fossil and Pijul.
                    So some other people agree, big whoop. Some people also agree that Slackware isn't user-friendly. Does that mean Slackware should alienate its users by becoming the new Ubuntu? No. Just try to accept that Git is not for you and the select people that agree with you.

Comment

The only ones who still use SVN, Mercurial and Perforce are the losers who haven't yet migrated to Git and are stuck.
                      Really? So you're going from complaining about Git under every related article to directly insulting people? Learn some manners before you post.

I don't care whether or not you find those VCS's horrible, or even if that would be a fact rather than your opinion, at least try not to post in a disrespectful way.
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 28 June 2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X