Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 102 Available With Transform Streams, Geoclue On Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 102 Available With Transform Streams, Geoclue On Linux

The Firefox 102.0 release is now available for download ahead of its stable release announcement tomorrow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't this the version where they finally fixed the hardware acceleration that was broken in version 98?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Isn't this the version where they finally fixed the hardware acceleration that was broken in version 98?
      Yup, according to this report it should be. So this makes it an exciting release for Linux users, but also a bitter one because it took so long.

Comment

I saw "64-bit" in that screenshot and to go and check: yup, 32-bit builds are still provided. Go figure...
        With the inability of 32-bit executables to manage more than 2GB of memory space,, I'm guessing those builds would run out of memory with a handful of tabs open.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I saw "64-bit" in that screenshot and to go and check: yup, 32-bit builds are still provided. Go figure...
          With the inability of 32-bit executables to manage more than 2GB of memory space,, I'm guessing those builds would run out of memory with a handful of tabs open.
          You mean per process, not per executable. Browser tabs being split into multiple processes, means you can use a lot more RAM than you think. But if you have individual tabs requiring more RAM than is allowed, then you will run into problems. Multiple GB browser tabs, though?

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

Yup, according to this report it should be. So this makes it an exciting release for Linux users, but also a bitter one because it took so long.
            Most of Firefox users are on Windows or Mac. In Linux, a considerable number of these features appear to be supported only because Martin Stránský (Red Hat) works on it. Unless the desktop Linux userbase grows substantially, this pattern is likely to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Not listed by Phoronix, so must not be that important to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

You mean per process, not per executable. Browser tabs being split into multiple processes, means you can use a lot more RAM than you think. But if you have individual tabs requiring more RAM than is allowed, then you will run into problems. Multiple GB browser tabs, though?
                Oh, yeah, per process. As the task manager always reminds me.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  - Support for Geoclue within Firefox on Linux for systems having this support for geolocation reporting.
                  I never thought I'd see the day.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Not listed by Phoronix, so must not be that important to anyone.
                    Well, it is important to me, if that's matter at all.That's why I am still using FF 97. Looking forward to 102 if that issue is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X