Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.32 Released With JPEG-XL Backported & Other Work While Waiting On GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    Waiting for GIMP 3 is like waiting for nuclear fusion to become an energy reality, still 30 years away.

One day, maybe.
    No joke, nuclear fusion is literally closer to reality than GIMP 3. There's already working prototypes of fusion reactors that produce more energy than they consume.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    Waiting for GIMP 3 is like waiting for nuclear fusion to become an energy reality, still 30 years away.

One day, maybe.
    And when it gets released it'll have a lot of bugs, so put a few more years on top of that. Amen.

Leave a comment:

• prokoudine
    replied
    Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post
    What is still blocking GIMP 3 release?
    https://gimp.org/news/2022/02/25/gim...ed/#whats-next covers just that.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    2.10.x is dead for me, just use 2.99.x which is far more usable on a modern desktop.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    I wouldn't mind Gimp switching to Qt proper for the interface and for graphics to whatever else available, like Skia.
    Skia may not be necessary in such a situation. Qt has its own counterpart to Skia and Cairo (as I remember, it predates both of them... or at least predates them being a going concern) and, historically, development on Qt has been well-enough funded that the reasons for not using it were rarely more technical than "we don't want to depend on a C++ compiler".

(I still remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the GTK+ ecosystem when Qt 4 gained support for not just drawing widgets in transformed views, but for transforming the input too, so you could click on them. There's a Qt demo which has clickable Qt Widgets hanging on the wall in a re-creation of the Windows 9x 3D Maze screensaver. It really showed off how much more budget and manpower Qt has compared to GTK.)

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Gimp switching to Qt. From GTK. Aka the Gimp Toolkit.

Alright then, that's enough Internet for the day.
    I think it's short for GNOME Toolkit these days, given who's actually making the decisions on the direction to take it.

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    Now imagine KDE took 20 years or so to port from one Qt version to another..

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post
    Using GIMP 3 via flahub beta for some time now but never stumbled over any issues so far. What is still blocking GIMP 3 release?
    Have you actually used all the functions? I believe they are porting them incrementally a.k.a. in the GTK3 builds some of them would be still broken

Leave a comment:

• darkdragon-001
    replied
    Using GIMP 3 via flahub beta for some time now but never stumbled over any issues so far. What is still blocking GIMP 3 release?

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Awesome, vbulletin thinks my last post is "spam" even though I have 1100 posts and a 9 year old account.

I mean cmmon really? vbulletin is dragging this website down from the glory that it could be big time.
    I'm fairly certain you screwed up, but still, I'd also prefer Disqus or Reddit or something.

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I wouldn't mind Gimp switching to Qt proper for the interface and for graphics to whatever else available, like Skia.
    Gimp switching to Qt. From GTK. Aka the Gimp Toolkit.

Alright then, that's enough Internet for the day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X