Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.32 Released With JPEG-XL Backported & Other Work While Waiting On GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    Waiting for GIMP 3 is like waiting for nuclear fusion to become an energy reality, still 30 years away.

One day, maybe.
    No joke, nuclear fusion is literally closer to reality than GIMP 3. There's already working prototypes of fusion reactors that produce more energy than they consume.

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
      While it definitely sucks that the port to GTK3 is still not done, keep in mind that porting to GTK4 won't be that huge of a task and it should/will happen much faster (hopefully of course).
      At this point, no. But as GTK4 keeps progressing, porting will be less easy for a complicated app like GIMP. And who knows if they even manage to target GTK4 before GTK5 is a thing…

Edit: and GIMP uses a lot of custom widgets, which can't be easily ported from 3 to 4. And if they want to do things right with regards to acceleration and stuff, they would want to use GSK, which would only take more time. I mean: It's worth it, but still.
      Last edited by Vistaus; 15 June 2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Awesome, vbulletin thinks my last post is "spam" even though I have 1100 posts and a 9 year old account.

I mean cmmon really? vbulletin is dragging this website down from the glory that it could be big time.
        Your account could be hacked as fas as VB is concerned, so it makes sense to keep checking.

Comment

Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post
          Using GIMP 3 via flahub beta for some time now but never stumbled over any issues so far. What is still blocking GIMP 3 release?
          Yeah, what could be blocking it when one (!) user reports that he/she has no issues with it? [/s]

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I wouldn't mind Gimp switching to Qt proper for the interface and for graphics to whatever else available, like Skia.
            It would also make them achieve their goal better. I mean: they're not looking to create the best Linux image editor, they're looking to create the best image editor. We all know how much GTK sucks on anything non-Linux. It has become better, but Qt is still miles ahead. GIMP on Qt would allow for better Windows and MacOS ports. And even Haiku, AmigaOS 4, Android, Ubuntu Touch, etc. ports. GTK doesn't run natively on most of those OS'es (in the best case you have to use a workaround) or it's just not up to par (Windows and macOS). Qt would solve all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              No joke, nuclear fusion is literally closer to reality than GIMP 3. There's already working prototypes of fusion reactors that produce more energy than they consume.
              Don't bet your mortgage on fusion power stations arriving in the next 30 years, you need GWs 24/7 not mWs, I'd lay you a wager it won't happen so here's a Duke Brothers $1 wager. See you in 30 years to collect, if we are still alive by them.

trading_places02.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                Waiting for GIMP 3 is like waiting for nuclear fusion to become an energy reality, still 30 years away.
                I'm fairly certain that GTK3 did not exist in the 1940s

Comment

gimp 3 is fake news

Comment

If you want Gimp 3 to be released earlier just go there: https://www.patreon.com/zemarmot

Read https://www.gimp.org/news/2021/07/27...e-development/ if you want to know more.
                    Last edited by Flaburgan; 16 June 2022, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I don't know what happened, but it seems like there are a fair number of modern transparent animated gifs on the web that GIMP can no longer load/export correctly. And I doubt GIMP will ever support per-frame colormaps that *.gif supports, which also seems to be popping up with frequency.

Comment

Working...
                      X