Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.32 Released With JPEG-XL Backported & Other Work While Waiting On GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10.32 Released With JPEG-XL Backported & Other Work While Waiting On GIMP 3.0

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10.32 Released With JPEG-XL Backported & Other Work While Waiting On GIMP 3.0

We have been writing about GIMP 3.0 for nearly a decade and with that stable release still out of sight, GIMP 2.10.32 is out as a six-month update to the aging GIMP 2.10 stable series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waiting for GIMP 3 is like waiting for nuclear fusion to become an energy reality, still 30 years away.

One day, maybe.

Comment

By the time Gimp 3 will be ready, GTK will drop support for 3.x and we'll have to wait another 20 years for Gimp 4.

Comment

While it definitely sucks that the port to GTK3 is still not done, keep in mind that porting to GTK4 won't be that huge of a task and it should/will happen much faster (hopefully of course).

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
          While it definitely sucks that the port to GTK3 is still not done, keep in mind that porting to GTK4 won't be that huge of a task and it should/will happen much faster (hopefully of course).
          Yeah. The big jump from GTK+ 2 to GTK 3 was because they did a lot of refactoring in preparation for Wayland, and to move stuff out of GDK into libraries shared with other users like Cairo. It'd make sense that something that uses low-level drawing APIs as much as GIMP would take a while to make that change.

(It reminds me of how my one GTK application (QuickTile) was a slow port because I was relying on low-level GDK stuff a lot.)

Comment

Really? I haven't looked at GTK4 in detail yet but it seems to me that the API changes are pretty substantial, particularly when defining custom widgets (which GIMP does a lot). Plus now there is the GSK etc.

Comment

I have the feeling that GIMP 3 will be like Firefox 4, they made a lot of merchandise and fanrafe, just to change the release version scheme and now we are Firefox +100

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                By the time Gimp 3 will be ready, GTK will drop support for 3.x and we'll have to wait another 20 years for Gimp 4.
                Maybe someone just should revive KIMP.
                There was some effort to make a "shim" header/library to easily compile GTK code using Qt libraries.
                An old hack demonstrating how to make GTK+ code compile against Qt through a thin wrapper - e8johan/gtk-made-qt

Qt seems to be far more backwards compatible. I compiled Qt2 programs with Qt5 once with relatively minor patching.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                  There was some effort to make a "shim" header/library to easily compile GTK code using Qt libraries.
                  I wouldn't mind Gimp switching to Qt proper for the interface and for graphics to whatever else available, like Skia.

Comment

Which one of you do I have to throw money at to get the damn GTK3 job done? (And don't tell me the main project)

If GIMP were made in a capitalistic model it would be all the people that WANT it could thow a few coins to make it.

Making such an elaborate tool is very difficult, and for whatever reason The human "GIMP Machine" just hasn't been a rocketship the last 10 years. I wish there was a good way to solve the human-resource problem, the potential for such a tool under the right conditions (like Blender) could rake hundreds of thousands or millions in grants or gifts.

It is a problem when you want to make a 1 million dollar donation and get public praise for it when you have to write on your blog you gave 1 million dollars to "The GIMP" -- I get it, they are edgelords and want to buck social norms but god damn beating that dead horse is a sign of how introverted and a sign of how little a shit management gives about the users opinions or gaining wide popularity.

Yeah I get it, you made this for yourself and your memes and don't give a shit if people like it or about what people want -- but maybe that is a bad attitude that will lead to nowhere instead of entering the 21st century software hall of fame.

Fixing management and structural problems is pretty difficult (just look at how bad management @ Mozilla has turned out when compared to their former glory). I wish the Prince of Korea who bought Freenode and ran it into the ground would buy GIMP and run it into the ground, that way at the very least a new fork would emerge like Libera.chat did with Freenode with a new more functional structure that leads to actual results and modernization.

Hats off to the actual devs, this isn't a criticism of them personally -- they have had an uphill battle and inasmuch as things have stayed the same -- they made leaps and bounds -- it's just that on a grander scale the projects health and progress has been slow especially when compared to the progress of other pro Linux GUI tooling.
                    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 15 June 2022, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X