No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.25 Released With Wayland Improvements, Improved Gestures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's already in the latest OpenSUSE Tumbleweed snapshot.

Comment

Upgraded on Arch and mostly good on the initial impression. The one potential bug I'm hitting is that the new overview effect animation seems a little jerky like it's only running at 60fps. I run my display 144Hz and the other animations are quite smooth (as in plasma 5.24) except for that overview animation.

No other problems and I'll try out some of the other new features too.

Comment

And still cannot use obs or screen capture on wayland (nvidia)

Comment

I don't understand why KDE Applications like Kate work on OpenBSD but not the plasma 5 desktop. I've asked around and they say to me it is because of kwin's dependency on Wayland, but if that is the case how come Gnome works on OpenBSD?

Comment

I knew about the accent color based on your wallpaper in 5.25 which is pretty spiffy by itself. I didn't realize you could also set an optional % tint to all your windows based on the accent until I looked at that release announcement video. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Out of curiosity: Which extensions did you end up using (if any)?

For reference, on Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite, KDE is usable out of the box for me (except that I needed to rpm-ostree install ksshaskpass on the fedora 35 branch because it was omitted in the base install), whereas with GNOME I tend to install a small suite of useful extensions such as Dash to Panel etc., which requires me to rpm-ostree install gnome-tweaks etc.
              I've committed myself to the most vanilla experience possible, so I've installed just the bare minimum like appindicator and kstatusnotifier support.
              That being said I've never really become acquainted to vanilla Gnome and I would have definitely installed more (like Dash to Panel) if I wasn't going to switch back to KDE Plasma.
              For sure Gnome has been way more polished and stable, quite a nice experience except for the barely usable defaults.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It has the habit of moving windows from one monitor to another when you restart. But it's not Wayland-specific. You also lose night light any any form of color management.
                That would be minor, I'm used to kwin completely crashing itself when you unplug an external monitor.
                Gnome doesn't do such things.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The default background is one of the most beautiful I ever seen!

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
                    The new "present windows" effect SUCKS. I want the old behaviour.
                    Oh no, just what I was afraid of too. Can you articulate it further?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

That would be minor, I'm used to kwin completely crashing itself when you unplug an external monitor.
                      Gnome doesn't do such things.
                      Yes, it is fixed now. KDE Wayland session couldn't work with my office dock with 2 extra displays. It sometimes worked, sometimes it didn't and disconnecting the dock caused a crash. Since 5.24 released I switched to Wayland for good, as there's nothing deal breaking for me at the moment (some windows don't pop-up or notify when they need attention, dragging a file to Firefox window doesn't work, I need a patched version of Slack and unofficial Teams to get screen sharing going and use native Wayland backend - I can live with that, hopefully it'll improve over time).

It is even better than X now, as on X connecting the USB-C caused freeze for few seconds and Plasma tended to forget which desktop containment was assigned to which screen. Now it's mostly good. Activating displays is almost instantaneous, it preserves my per-screen config no matter how many other screens I connect.

Honestly it felt completely messed up not so long ago and I wasn't very enthusiastic on how long will it take for them to fix all those random problems. Well done, KDE

Comment

Working...
                      X