GNOME's Mutter Variable Rate Refresh Support Closer To Being Merged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Variable Rate Refresh Support Closer To Being Merged

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Variable Rate Refresh Support Closer To Being Merged

Variable rate refresh (VRR / FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync) support for GNOME's Mutter compositor is closer to being merged. The native back-end support for VRR that has been in development the past two years is no longer considered a work-in-progress and it's believed there are no longer any blocking issues that would prevent this code from landing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I sometimes feel like Wayland's lack of some protocols is holding a lot of things back. Nevertheless, this is a game changer for gaming on Linux.
    Last edited by EvilHowl; 07 June 2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
      I sometimes feel like Wayland's lack of some protocols is holding a lot of thing back. Nevertheless, this is a game changer for gaming on Linux.
      Yeah, unfortunately developing sane protocol takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
        I sometimes feel like Wayland's lack of some protocols is holding a lot of thing back.
        It is. You're not the only one who feels it.

Comment

Ah regarding the control center, I have that functionality in every distro thanks to nvidia-settings. If only AMD, Intel or Mesa had a control panel then they wouldn't have to depend on each DE developer to expose these settings.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
            Ah regarding the control center, I have that functionality in every distro thanks to nvidia-settings. If only AMD, Intel or Mesa had a control panel then they wouldn't have to depend on each DE developer to expose these settings.
            The problem is that the control panel would need to be largely DE specific. Each DE stores their display settings differently.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The problem is that the control panel would need to be largely DE specific. Each DE stores their display settings differently.
              Is this due to Wayland and Nvidia will have to depend on DE specific implementations? I recall I just needed to add the below line to my Xorg config when I was using a Radeon VII:
              Option "VariableRefresh" "true"

If not then why not try to standardize the location of display settings so it isn't fragmented and all Linux users could enjoy the same control panel experience?

Comment

Is this due to Wayland and Nvidia will have to depend on DE specific implementations? I recall I just needed to add the below line to my Xorg config when I was using a Radeon VII:

If not then why not try to standardize the location of display settings so it isn't fragmented and all Linux users could enjoy the same control panel experience?
                Yeah. Everyone uses X.org while other X11 implementations not based on X.org have become incredibly niche (WSLg uses XWayland which is part of X.org. Is XQuartz on macOS based on X.org?), and putting Option "VariableRefresh" "true" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf is X.org-specific.

You're basically benefitting from the display server equivalent of "This Site is Designed for Internet Explorer 6.0".

Comment

It was largely true even with X (each DE stored the display setting in a different place), but at least with X there was a standard API (randr) for applications to change the display settings and you could override things by changing your xorg.conf. That is no longer the case with wayland. That said, there are some initiatives to standardize some of the basic compositor functionality into shared libraries (e.g., things like wlroots), but we aren't quite there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mcqigo View Post

Yeah, unfortunately developing sane protocol takes time.
                    Is it sane? Doesn't Wayland rely on implicit sync like X11? Unlike Android & Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X