Firefox Nightly Tries For VA-API Video Acceleration For Mesa Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by birdie View Post

Composition has been GPU accelerated for years, tilde. I'm asking about how applications are rendered on the inside.
    OpenGL rendering by default was one of the big features of GTK4 for many devs. In 4.2 a major rewrite of it landed: https://blog.gtk.org/2021/03/30/gtk-4-2-0/
    Quote: "Thanks to the hard work of Christian Hergert, the NGL renderer is now the default renderer for Linux, Windows, and macOS."

P.S.: you can easily verify this by running a GTK4 app in an unaccelerated environment. Also: scrolling in a fullscreen window on a high res screen with high refresh rate is likely not going to be smooth with a CPU based renderer - on any existing CPU AFAIK.
    Last edited by treba; 06 June 2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by treba View Post
      P.S.: you can easily verify this by running a GTK4 app in an unaccelerated environment. Also: scrolling in a fullscreen window on a high res screen with high refresh rate is likely not going to be smooth with a CPU based renderer - on any existing CPU AFAIK.
      Yes, for example in Adobe or PDF XChange Editor on Windows. Oh wait, but I thought it was GPU acceleration wonderland...
      Performance is just terrible vs. Okular rendering...

Also weird that this lengthy OT discussion is below a Firefox news that has full compositing and rasterization GPU acceleration in Webrender via GL (Windows ANGLE) on all platforms...

Comment

• Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Wait, there's people playing videos on Firefox on NUMA machines? What absolute nonsense people do sometimes...
        The numactl library is initialized even on non-NUMA machines so that bug would have hit anybody with a new version of that library. It just happened to users on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed first because it was the first major distro to update it. These type of issues are very common on Linux, especially when dealing with new features and functionality.

Comment

• Originally posted by crystall View Post

The numactl library is initialized even on non-NUMA machines so that bug would have hit anybody with a new version of that library. It just happened to users on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed first because it was the first major distro to update it. These type of issues are very common on Linux, especially when dealing with new features and functionality.
          What uses that library?

Comment

• Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

What uses that library?
            ffmpeg

Comment

• So this didn't happen, but maybe does in 103.0.1 as per the changelog?

Comment

• Can't find the thread where someone told me it would work even on 3rd gen intel, so I don't know who to thank, but it does, so thank you, whoever you are.

Comment

Working...
                X