Firefox Nightly Tries For VA-API Video Acceleration For Mesa Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ermine View Post

Qt5/6 have examples of opengl/vulkan apps. Go check them.
    I was talking about rendering basic UI elements (normal buttons, radio buttons, scrollbars, checkboxes, etc.) and fonts.

Comment

This is non sequitur.
      No one here can prove the opposite unfortunately.

Comment

Nvidia does not implement VA-API. This one is unofficial.
        and this is relevant why?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I was talking about rendering basic UI elements (normal buttons, radio buttons, scrollbars, checkboxes, etc.) and fonts.
          As I said before, I see gpu activity on radeontop. So, I conclude that Qt accelerates its operations.

I can even show a video, but I don't know how to insert it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Nvidia has a vaapi implementation
            What implementation? That unofficial translation layer from vaapi to nvenc? Cause that's the only one I heard about.
            Vaapi relies on the dri/drm infrastructure, which Nvidia doesn't use in its drivers, so that's why it can't support it.
            Last edited by user1; 03 June 2022, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Video Rendering with a CPU based pipeline just causes such minimal CPU usage on anything from the last 10 years that there simply is not much demand and low demand means low motivation.
              That's not true. I have an i7 8700K and when I was watching youtube videos without vaapi, my CPU usage was about 15%, which is a lot for just watching a 1080p video and I could even feel warm air coming from my CPU cooler because of that. Now, imagine if this was on a laptop, even modern one.

Comment

No one here can prove the opposite unfortunately.
                Lack of proof for the opposite doesn't automatically prove your point. This is a fallacy too, but I don't know how this fallacy is named.

Moreover, I asked you to prove your words several posts ago.

Comment

As I said before, I see gpu activity on radeontop. So, I conclude that Qt accelerates its operations.

I can even show a video, but I don't know how to insert it here.
                  For fun I've tried resizing QBitTorrent's Qt5 main window (a ton of torrents, a ton of repainting) and I see both GPU and CPU being stressed a LOT. That unfortunately concludes nothing. What if it's my window manager which executes some operations on my GPU?

Lack of proof for the opposite doesn't automatically prove your point. This is a fallacy too, but I don't know how this fallacy is named.

Moreover, I asked you to prove your words several posts ago.
                  For many posts now I've not claimed anything - I've been just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

and this is relevant why?
                    Because:
                    1. Relying on a single developer that who knows for how long he will develop this thing, isn't a good idea.
                    2. It seems to be an early wip project, so it doesn't support all codecs and has a lot of bugs. There are also other limitations according to its readme page.

Comment

For fun I've tried resizing QBitTorrent's Qt5 main window (a ton of torrents, a ton of repainting) and I see both GPU and CPU being stressed a LOT. That unfortunately concludes nothing. What if it's my window manager which executes some operations on my GPU?
                      In my test, I didn't resize windows, so i had excluded compositing. Full disclosure: I ran my test again with both radeontop and htop and detected CPU and GPU load.

For many posts now I've not claimed anything - I've been just asking.
                      Are those were questions? Well, well...

OMG. Year 2022 and Linux still renders UI in software mode.
                      I'm not sure GTK or Qt under Linux accelerate any drawing operations. Window management is accelerated when using compositing - that's it.
                      And this whole off-topic discussion began here:

DEs in Linux barely support any GPUs in the world, I mean Windows has had its UI almost fully GPU accelerated since Windows Vista or something? What about Linux? Well, rendering using the CPU mostly.

Comment

Working...
                      X