Firefox Nightly Tries For VA-API Video Acceleration For Mesa Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
    Been using vaapi for years in Firefox. It works great. Playing 1080p60 video uses <10% of a core. Fantastic savings.
    It's good but nowhere near what I see in Windows where Firefox basically doesn't register in Task Manager when playing videos.

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
    Also funny how things like XRender are hw acellerated on X11 (even uses dedicated 2D hardware on Intel), but apparently on Wayland it's all software rendering except for the composition step? Or what's going on?

BTW, if the laws in your country are unethical and don't allow you to use the things you paid for legally, then it's your moral duty to break them.
    That was my impression with Wayland as well - everything rendered in software except whole windows.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I wanna see the actual proofs of that. A blog post made by someone who's in the topic will suffice. I remember X11 drawing primitives were GPU accelerated but those haven't been used by anything in Linux for more than a decade.
      Some old X11 servers did accelerated drawing on some of those old unix hardware.
      Anything based on Clutter was always fully OpenGL hardware accelerated. Since 10 years or so.
      GTK4 renders in both OpenGL and Vulkan as well as the Cairo backend as a fallback.

I know those are all very hard to research things, but you as our top expert on anything Unix, Linux and NT should know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Some old X11 servers did accelerated drawing on some of those old unix hardware.
        Anything based on Clutter was always fully OpenGL hardware accelerated. Since 10 years or so.
        GTK4 renders in both OpenGL and Vulkan as well as the Cairo backend as a fallback.

I know those are all very hard to research things, but you as our top expert on anything Unix, Linux and NT should know that.
        I'm not an expert in 2D drawing in Linux at all that's why I'm asking for help.

There was a gtkperf application for measuring GTK2 performance but no one has ever updated it for GTK3/GTK4. That would have quenched all my apprehensions.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Why do people keep on posting incorrect shit about Windows in a desperate attempt to throw sludge at it. GDI has been GPU accelerated since WDDM 1.1 (i.e. Vista era), see https://stackoverflow.com/a/3415379.

Whether you like it or not, birdie is largely correct here. Windows has, more or less, fixed the GPU acceleration problem for everything that you would sanely would want to be sanely GPU accelerated. Its of course not perfect but considering the backwards compatibility that Windows has to also maintain its miles ahead of Linux whos only success story for GPU acceleration seems to be terminal rendering? (which is hilarious in a tragic way).

Actually just yesterday I was having a meeting with a colleague who is running Fedora and he had to switch from Wayland to X11/Gnome to get OBS to work (with Wayland he was having a delay between sound and video recording). The switch to X11/Gnome fixed that problem however he now has the problem that when he uses the blue filter (which is meant to use GPU acceleration) in Google meet with Firefox the video freezes for ~5-6 seconds at a time because its actually using the CPU rather than the GPU.

And before anyone blames NVidia, this is on an Intel laptop using the discrete GPU on Fedora...

So yeah sorry for the reality check, but GPU acceleration story in Linux is complete and utter shambles and its actually personally my last straw that convinced me to get a macbook pro for work because I was sick of tired of having stuttering in video conferencing because it was using the CPU (and since I am not so young anymore, I don't really have the time to fuk around with all of the flags/settings/GPU decoder APIs with browser to get it to work).
          Windows has "solved" this issue by partly translate those old UI calls to something the GPU understands, if you want that on Linux, Cairo has a OpenGL backend.

Are you using a Pentium 4? One of the main issue why GPU based video en/decoding is such a slow starter on Linux is that it became really unnecessary in the meantime for Workstations. Video Rendering with a CPU based pipeline just causes such minimal CPU usage on anything from the last 10 years that there simply is not much demand and low demand means low motivation.

And if that notebook had a Nvidia GPU, then it was muxxed with the iGPU which most likely caused your delay issue.

Comment

Here's the only recent performance indirect comparison between GTK3 and GTK4 that I've found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comme...gtk3_vs_gtk_4/

To be honest I see zero difference between software rendered GTK3 and OpenGL accelerated GTK4.

Comment

If GNOME really is GPU-accelerated why is it always the most sluggish distro on low-end hardware (assuming such hardware has a GPU)?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Nonsensical post. It's not VAAPI's fault that it's poorly supported by weird projects like obs or Handbrake when it has been working in ffmpeg and mpv for many years without severe issues (at least not more severe than the constant driver crashing issues of Chrome on Windows due to whatever API).

Hope it gets enabled for beta too in the not too distant future, that should prevent even more regressions from reaching stable versions.

Even more nonsensical answer. It can be VA-API's fault if this is a horrible API. I linked official documentation that says that VA-API support in ffmpeg is partial.

Go learn some manners.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Alder Lake is still not properly supported by Linux and I don't think it's going to get supported as well as W11 does it in the next three years.

DEs in Linux barely support any GPUs in the world, I mean Windows has had its UI almost fully GPU accelerated since Windows Vista or something? What about Linux? Well, rendering using the CPU mostly. Linux is fast to support something, right. It's damn slow in actually implementing the same thing. And then to make it all worse there are multiple competing ways of doing the same thing and then often times things become deprecated and it takes ages for applications to switch to new things. VDPAU? Still working perfectly for 99.99% of video clips out there? Nah, let's create VAAPI because we can.
                  VDPAU is Xlib only, it doesn't even support Xcb, let alone Wayland. It did its job at the time of getting accelerated video working on X11 with NVidia GPUs, but it wasn't really designed with anything else in mind. VA-API was designed to be windowing system and hw agnostic.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
                    If GNOME really is GPU-accelerated why is it always the most sluggish distro on low-end hardware (assuming such hardware has a GPU)?
                    Because until recently the GPU acceleration of the shell wasn't very efficient. Performance fixes are in GNOME 42.

Comment

Originally posted by Ermine View Post

Even more nonsensical answer. It can be VA-API's fault if this is a horrible API. I linked official documentation that says that VA-API support in ffmpeg is partial.

Go learn some manners.
                      Given it does more than VDPAU, full/partial support can mean different things.

Comment

Working...
                      X