Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    It's always kinda funny when the [other DE] trolls invade any thread with gnome hate and the same stereotypes again and again and again. It's so foreseeable.

Meanwhile: happily using Gnome 42. Even being a professional user, doing development taks, server and infrastructure maintenance taks, lots of communication, some video creation for yt,...

And to make it even more outrageous: I think wayland has long surpassed X11 in terms of useful features and everyday performance. No kidding.
    It's funny how one of the king of (paid) trolls comes to manipulate others into thinking critics against Gnome are from KDE users.
    As a Gnome/Budgie user who hasn't used KDE in 16 years, I feel like the critics (from every DE user) are spot on.

Also, as a wayland user, saying it has surpassed X11 is another manipulation. I switch back regularly to X when I need to do something more complex.
    You must work closely with Red Hat to throw those misleading ideas with so much confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      Also, as a wayland user, saying it has surpassed X11 is another manipulation. I switch back regularly to X when I need to do something more complex.
      Like what?

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

As mentioned previously Wayland is missing functionality for this use: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/45

https://psychtoolbox.discourse.group...en-window/4277

Well that is more of an opinion that presenting some hard technical facts, now I have zero knowledge in the specific use case that this software is using but I find it strange that the claim is a lack of precision timing when software like MangoHud can show frame times under Wayland, but then it probably uses the OpenGL/Vulkan timings for that while this psychtool software probably aims to be platform independent and thus don't want to use OpenGL/Vulkan directly?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It's a text editor. It's UTF-8 aware, it has syntax highlighting, simple search&replace and sane controls, that's it. What else do you want from a TEXT EDITOR? It's not intended nor designed for advanced requirements such as auto-formatting, language analyser integration, debugger and git integration etc. There is software for that (my personal favourite being VS Codium), this one is for displaying README files and some basic editing. And yes, being pleasant to use is essential.
          It actually is the only lightweight text editor I found which supports editorconfig spec out of the box without scraping for various plugins. That's a huge thing to have for a text editor for programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
            Yeah, you'd think that most Linux users would want the more feature-packed and customizable software, which is KDE. GNOME seems to try to target very novice users (which should account for 0% of Linux desktop users), and it does so with a desktop environment that would be unfamiliar to them.
            GNOME moves a lot faster. So, for some people, simple, but quick is more productivity. There is a lot of linux desktops which represent different usage styles...

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

GNOME moves a lot faster. So, for some people, simple, but quick is more productivity. There is a lot of linux desktops which represent different usage styles...
              Gnome doesn't move fast at all. They only just left the macOS aqua theme of 2011 for another macOS copycat (adwaita) now of 2015. In general, they have the NIH syndrome and it uses an old paradigm (exposé from macOS and exposé + the scale plugin of Compiz they just reinvented).
              It has less features than before. It's getting more and more in the way of your workflow. It leaves the hard work of efficient desktops to 3rd party extensions. It's not simple, it's limited.
              Whenever you need to be productive and do actual and more complex stuff, you need extensions so that it doesn't get in your way.
              I'm a Gnome user but what makes it decent and usable is everything that is not Gnome team developed. Fortunately, there are much smarter people out there making up for what it lacks. And much better designer to give us decent themes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

> you see only gnome as enterprise ready desktop on, well, enterprise distros.

KDE Plasma, with distributions like Kubuntu, have paid support available, ready for enterprise. It also comes preinstalled (as e.g. Kubuntu) with computers (even laptops) from Tuxedo, Slimbook, etc.
                Paid support doesnt mean enterprise ready. You can get paid support probably for everything on linux - you just need to find the people who want the money.

> everything is getting in my way and just screams out "Change this, change that, resize this, shrink that, enable this"

Can you share a screenshot of everything getting in your way and screaming out "Change this, change that, resize this, shrink that, enable this"?
                No, it's the interaction. The first thing I still do is to resize windows for almost every application I launch, next I enable or disable menubars on some apps where I (dont) need them. The small things.

> proper SMB support. I don't hate Plasma (or any other desktop for that sake), it's just more work then it's should be.

Would you share a bug about that proper SMB support? It works well for me and I'm curious.
                For example: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436553 but in general everything that "streams" data via smb is a problem and / or general KIO shares for non-KDE apps

Please don't get me wrong. This sounds so much more worse then it is. Plasma *is* nice and *is* usable. I just believe that for the majority of power-/prof-users, GNOME works better because it just works (most of the time) and is well integrated.

Comment

Working...
                X