Ubuntu 22.10 Switching To PipeWire For Linux Audio Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

On Manjaro it's only an optional dependency for kio and gwenview. I wouldn't be surprised if other distributions have KDE/QT dependencies messed up. I filed a bug report at Arch Linux for spectacle. You, or someone else, should probably do the same for Ubuntu.
    Good advice. But. In my life I filed like 10 bug reports, none was ever fixed, sometimes after years pass by I sometimes get an unwanted email telling me that the bug was so old it got removed from the DB and if it still wasn't fixed I should file again - to which I thought to myself "fuck you". Last one I filed was about mpv not so long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Good advice. But. In my life I filed like 10 bug reports, none was ever fixed, sometimes after years pass by I sometimes get an unwanted email telling me that the bug was so old it got removed from the DB and if it still wasn't fixed I should file again - to which I thought to myself "fuck you". Last one I filed was about mpv not so long ago.
      Hey, at least that MPV one gained some traction and someone provided a workaround Lua script.

Comment

This thread has gone way off topic.

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
        It's always kinda funny when the [other DE] trolls invade any thread with gnome hate and the same stereotypes again and again and again. It's so foreseeable.

Meanwhile: happily using Gnome 42. Even being a professional user, doing development taks, server and infrastructure maintenance taks, lots of communication, some video creation for yt,...

And to make it even more outrageous: I think wayland has long surpassed X11 in terms of useful features and everyday performance. No kidding.
        Yes that is outrageous since it doesn’t even meet feature parity of x11.

It’s perfectly fine for 99% of Intel/AMD normal desktop usage/gaming. Left out Nvidia since they’re still working on their support: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...release/214275

It’s currently completely useless for vision and neuroscience research. Which I’m certain have more workstations deployed than the number of Linux gamers due to broken timing in Wayland.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/45

Comment

Too bad it didn't make it to 22.04. Many people stick to LTS and they'll ultimately switch to PW in 2024. It already doesn't make sense to use PulseAudio now as it's less stable while providing less features and on Wayland PipeWire is a requirement anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

What's so good about that new text editor (and the new terminal)? I think they both suck because they just don't have any features at all (I get it, Gnome is not KDE, but removing features from the apps themselves is too much for me). I've seen even the most die hard Gnome fans criticize the new terminal. Fedora 36 unfortunately replaced Gedit with the new text editor, but kept the old terminal. I hope the terminal will not be replaced with the new one in a future version.
            The new terminal is actually great with the way the window automatically changes color when you use sudo or ssh, it's a great way to prevent stupid mistakes. Ok you can't micromanage the font or the exact transparency percentage. Personally I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Not anymore:

"GNOME Text Editor is a simple text editor focused on a pleasing default experience."

So it's focus is not being a capable or functional text editor. It's just trying to be pleasant to use; to give you a pleasant experience while you explore its three functions.
              It's a text editor. It's UTF-8 aware, it has syntax highlighting, simple search&replace and sane controls, that's it. What else do you want from a TEXT EDITOR? It's not intended nor designed for advanced requirements such as auto-formatting, language analyser integration, debugger and git integration etc. There is software for that (my personal favourite being VS Codium), this one is for displaying README files and some basic editing. And yes, being pleasant to use is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                Meanwhile: happily using Gnome 42. Even being a professional user, doing development taks, server and infrastructure maintenance taks, lots of communication, some video creation for yt,...
                I tried Fedora 36 with GNOME 42 recently, I'm a little confused with the experience. Quite a bit was Fedora specific, but I do recall the following:

You can't minimize apps? At least when I was testing some software out like Unigine Heaven I could not hide the launcher window. I'm a bit confused why that's the case and what you're meant to do (shift it to a different workspace?). There wasn't anything in the windows titlebar with right-click context, nor in the top panel interaction for the app regarding minimizing. I believe more native apps like Nautilus supported such via those menus at least, but it seems it's not consistently supported?

VRR also didn't work on Wayland, even with fullscreen app which worked on X11. I believe this is coming eventually.

GNOME also doesn't seem to offer an ability to disable compositing. That's rarely relevant, but with graphical workloads it does help. On Plasma steam games can disable compositing and it runs a lot better, including with windowed games or benchmarks. Pragmatically at least it seems to work for fullscreen usage implicitly where it'd be most useful, so that's good at least

---

I haven't used Gnome long enough to really form much of opinion about it. The only real gripe I have that'd affect me is window management with lack of being able to minimize windows, but maybe that's me using it wrong and I'm meant to know some shortcut to throw it to another workspace and switch between those quickly (overview is neat but that sort of switching would be annoying).

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Not anymore:

"GNOME Text Editor is a simple text editor focused on a pleasing default experience."

So it's focus is not being a capable or functional text editor. It's just trying to be pleasant to use; to give you a pleasant experience while you explore its three functions.
                  I am not able to find a missing feature compared to Gedit, but it does have some new features that makes is more pleasant to use. Can you provide some _specific_ information to support your claims?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Then why don't I have such an option?
                    Have you installed webp?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Have you installed webp?
                      Yes it was installed, turned out (skeevy420 told me) I needed to install qt5-image-formats-plugins which fixed the issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X