No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.25 Preparing More Bug Fixes, Continued Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More bugfixes go into the Linux kernel every day than are done on KDE in a month. I wonder what OS Phoronix posters are running their Gnome on. Surely Linux is far too unstable to use as a base for their favorite desktop? Would be practically unusable.

Comment

wow, this release improved lot of performace and batterylife in Wayland, Xorg never gave me performance like this with 144 hz screen.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post
        More bugfixes go into the Linux kernel every day than are done on KDE in a month. I wonder what OS Phoronix posters are running their Gnome on. Surely Linux is far too unstable to use as a base for their favorite desktop? Would be practically unusable.
        How many lines of code does the Linux kernel have and how many KDE? I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

How many lines of code does the Linux kernel have and how many KDE? I don't think that's a fair comparison.
          How many lines of code does KDE have and how many does Xfce?
          Why is it somehow fair to compare raw bug numbers of those but not of KDE and the Linux kernel? Both comparisons are equally stupid.

Comment

KDE does not follow the approach "fixing features by deleting them", only idiots would applaud to that.

Comment

Why is it somehow fair to compare raw bug numbers of those but not of KDE and the Linux kernel? Both comparisons are equally stupid.
              Well, the Linux kernel is 25-30 million lines of code, which is several times more than both KDE and Xfce combined. Also, remember that if we're talking about the Linux kernel, different people run it on different hardware and architectures, hence the bug reports may be specific to certain mainline drivers or architectures. You can say "oh, but the same can be said about KDE - different people may not be using all of it's features or customization possibilities". You know, several days ago I made some comments here on Phoronix about why I ditched KDE after many years of using it. When you have issues like Plasma desktop crashing simply because of switching your monitor off and then on, or Plasma shell crashes when you open the panel customization menu and just moving the cursor in a certain way, I get the impression that the whole KDE codebase needs some serious code refactoring. And that's not all, many other KDE desktop utilities have also crashed on me at some point.
              Last edited by user1; 21 May 2022, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Yes, KDE codebase is huge (https://invent.kde.org), Xfce has no Wayland version, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

The number of bugs is significantly larger in KDE compared to XFCE or other smaller desktops. Just look at the rate of bug fixes. This year alone, there are probably more submitted bug fixes for Plasma 5 than ever applied to XFCE during the last 20 years.
                  Or it could be because KDE devs are more active, KDE users are more willing to report bugs, KDE has a Wayland session while Xfce doesn't, etc. I.e.: all sorts of reasons.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 21 May 2022, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Well, the Linux kernel is 25-30 million lines of code, which is several times more than both KDE and Xfce combined. Also, remember that if we're talking about the Linux kernel, different people run it on different hardware and architectures, hence the bug reports may be specific to certain mainline drivers or architectures. You can say "oh, but the same can be said about KDE - different people may not be using all of it's features or customization possibilities". You know, several days ago I made some comments here on Phoronix about why I ditched KDE after many years of using it. When you have issues like Plasma desktop crashing simply because of switching your monitor off and then on, or Plasma shell crashes when you open the panel customization menu and just moving the cursor in a certain way, I get the impression that the whole KDE codebase needs some serious code refactoring. And that's not all, many other KDE desktop utilities have also crashed on me at some point.
                    GNOME apps crash on me from time to time too. And last time I tried GNOME, which was late last year, it was unstable, both on Wayland and X11. KDE, however, is hardly ever unstable for me, esp. on Tumbleweed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Or it could be because KDE devs are more active, KDE users are more willing to report bugs, KDE has a Wayland session while Xfce doesn't, etc. I.e.: all sorts of reasons.
                      Of course we are more willing to report bugs when we see that the KDE developers really care about us, each one of us and always try to bring us the features and bug fixes that we need / want.

They don't say no to features because they don't use them, if somebody uses them, that's a good reason!

they don't say they don't fix bugs because it's not a bug for them.

And they don't remove features because they are are too hard to fix.

KDE developers are really amazing and are going to great lengths to make us happy and we are really grateful for that and makes us want to contribute back with something!

Comment

Working...
                      X