Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.25 Preparing More Bug Fixes, Continued Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.25 Preparing More Bug Fixes, Continued Wayland Fixes

Following this week's KDE Plasma 5.25 beta release, KDE developers turned their attention to bug fixing and they accomplished a lot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think they will keep fixing tons of bugs in plasma 5.xx till next decade unless they stop adding junk and superfluous features.

Comment

There is no such thing as "adding junk and superfluous features", software will always have bugs. Happy Plasma Wayland 5.24 user here.

Comment

Have to say that Plasma (5.24.5) runs much better on openSUSE (Tumbleweed) than on Fedora. But still having kinda embarrassing bugs (maybe Wayland/NVIDIA related. Didn't test on X). I. e., if I close a window or a copy task has been finished, I sometimes still see the old status on the task bar. It seems that it does not get updated. Maybe there is a deadlock, because I can only fix this by login out from Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post
          There is no such thing as "adding junk and superfluous features", software will always have bugs. Happy Plasma Wayland 5.24 user here.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I hope any fixes get backported to 5.24 LTS

Comment

Exactly. Sometimes perfectly working software can just be better.

I did a bug report day before yesterday, first one to KDE ever, over a not-a-bug that could potentially be a 15 Minute Bug depending on how you look at it. Basically, a pinched nerve in my shoulder is making my left hand inaccurate so I keep typing my password wrong or accidentally hitting caps lock (have done both now); locked myself out of my system a couple times; the only info to get back in is a static box (that can be closed) saying 10 minutes (Manjaro default); only way to update the time in the box is to enter an incorrect password (why is that allowed if I'm locked out?) or trigger another app to throw up a new password prompt.

My bug report is basically asking for a countdown timer that can't be closed (because that static box with no timer is the main bug), to block out the password entry form while locked out (just makes sense to me), and to add a modifier key notifier to the password prompt (just helpful).

Technically, the password prompt is working as expected. However, when you injure yourself and your typing isn't up to par you start to see where accessibility settings and features could be helpful or even necessary. Exactly how long until I can use my password or on-screen help as to why am I might be typing it wrong would both be helpful. While I see this as a bug, the same fixes I suggest could also be seen as "junk and superfluous" features.

I know about /etc/security/faillock.conf and the various ways to fix it that way....and rebooting....

Comment

KDE Plasma 5.300 Preparing More Bug Fixes, Continued Wayland Fixes

Comment

The number of bugs is significantly larger in KDE compared to XFCE or other smaller desktops. Just look at the rate of bug fixes. This year alone, there are probably more submitted bug fixes for Plasma 5 than ever applied to XFCE during the last 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    KDE Plasma 5.300 Preparing More Bug Fixes, Continued Wayland Fixes
                    Still Gnome 40 was more stable than KDE Plasma will be in the next 10 years. "Yea it's because Gnome is dumbed down idiot desktop; the lack of features makes bug fixes much simpler". KDE is for the "power users", which means implementing even the simplest thing correctly takes 10 years + requires a non-standard MOC meta object compiler + currently unimplemented C++ 2030 template magic. Oh yea, on top of that the desktop can't even be implemented in C++ (Qt script, maybe even PyQt).

Comment

Working...
                    X