Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 7.9 Brings Many Fixes For Running Windows Games/Apps On Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine 7.9 Brings Many Fixes For Running Windows Games/Apps On Linux

    Phoronix: Wine 7.9 Brings Many Fixes For Running Windows Games/Apps On Linux

    Wine 7.9 was released on Friday as the latest bi-weekly development release of this open-source software for enjoying Windows games and applications on Linux, macOS, and other platforms...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...e-7.9-Released

  • #2
    I hope they fix their build system soon. Being forced to compile it with only one job makes the whole process annoyingly slow.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      I hope they fix their build system soon. Being forced to compile it with only one job makes the whole process annoyingly slow.
      Code:
      make -j$(nproc)
      works fine for me 20 minutes build from scratch on mobile 6-core i7. With ccache it can be between 1 min rebuild and 4-5 mins with Wine major version bump for example.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        Code:
        make -j$(nproc)
        works fine for me 20 minutes build from scratch on mobile 6-core i7. With ccache it can be between 1 min rebuild and 4-5 mins with Wine major version bump for example.
        At least not with that custom AUR package: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.g...a132670f481a3a

        And that also carries over to the proton-ge-custom AUR package which I already spent too much time on to get it to compile...
        Last edited by ms178; 21 May 2022, 11:41 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          I hope they fix their build system soon. Being forced to compile it with only one job makes the whole process annoyingly slow.
          Been compiling Wine with make -j4/-j16 for over a decade now. Not sure what you're talking about.

          There was a bug squashed recently which resulted in the inability to build Wine when you used ... 64 threads or more, but I'm quite sure fewer than 0.01% of Linux users have this number of logical CPU cores.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by birdie View Post

            Been compiling Wine with make -j4/-j16 for over a decade now. Not sure what you're talking about.

            There was a bug squashed recently which resulted in the inability to build Wine when you used ... 64 threads or more, but I'm quite sure fewer than 0.01% of Linux users have this number of logical CPU cores.
            I manually set it to 4, but it errored out later. I don't know if the GE-packages carry other alterations over Wine stock which might have an impact on the build process. It could also be the 12.0.1 mingw-gcc build in Arch testing having issues.

            And just that people are aware of it, proton-ge-custom also faced issues due to GCC 12 not liking assembly in the 32-bit ffmpeg built (the workaround is to disable assembly for that package which was incorporated into the latest PKGBUILD update).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ms178 View Post

              I manually set it to 4, but it errored out later. I don't know if the GE-packages carry other alterations over Wine stock which might have an impact on the build process. It could also be the 12.0.1 mingw-gcc build in Arch testing having issues.

              And just that people are aware of it, proton-ge-custom also faced issues due to GCC 12 not liking assembly in the 32-bit ffmpeg built (the workaround is to disable assembly for that package which was incorporated into the latest PKGBUILD update).
              So let me get this straight: you are using god knows what Wine patches and the Wine project must "fix their build system soon"?

              Are you OK buddy?

              Why are you even leaving this comment here? Where's your bug report? Does the upstream know about your complications?

              Sometimes I straight don't understand people.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just for the sake of it I've just built Wine 7.9 using GCC 12.1 in Fedora 36:

                $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/wine --disable-tests && make -j16 && make install-lib
                ...
                STRIPPROG="strip" tools/install-sh server/wineserver /opt/wine/bin/wineserver

                real 3m20.211s
                user 39m31.860s
                sys 3m12.298s

                $ echo $?
                0


                No issues detected.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by birdie View Post

                  So let me get this straight: you are using god knows what Wine patches and the Wine project must "fix their build system soon"?

                  Are you OK buddy?

                  Why are you even leaving this comment here? Where's your bug report? Does the upstream know about your complications?

                  Sometimes I straight don't understand people.
                  I don't understand some of your comments either, my friend, e.g. your demands on Michael's distribution testing as there are way too many variables to make that practical and out-of-the-box testing is relevant for the normies out there who don't tinker around much (and in my opinion most distributions could do a far better job in optimizing for gaming workloads, see the Linux tweaks series over at seylaw.blogspot.com if that interests you).

                  Back on topic: There is already plenty of talk about these issues, you just need to dig deeper into the provided links, to make that even easier here again for the wine-ge-custom package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-ge-custom). That's what I am complaining about as it did cost me a couple of wasted hours this week. If it turns out to blame Glorious Eggroll or the maintainer, I will shift my wrath accordingly to the responsible party. But as long as it is attributed to upstream Wine, I leave it there.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Looking at it again, it was mentioned to be a mingw-w64-binutils issue (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/74718) - mea culpa. But still my wounds are fresh and the rage is still burning inside me.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X