Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape 1.2 Open-Source Vector Graphics Program Released

Phoronix: Inkscape 1.2 Open-Source Vector Graphics Program Released

It's been nearly one year since the release of Inkscape 1.1 while today it has been succeeded by Inkscape 1.2 as a major feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When first I know of Inkscape, it has the best trace bitmap feature. Better then Corel and Illustrator. Kudos devs for the new releases. Still my favourite vector drawing app.

Comment

I still don't know how to draw such fancy things like that logo. Is it harder to learn and use Inkscape vs commercial ones? I mean not just draw straight lines. You gotta have some artistic background. So what I'm missing is this background on colors, shapes, styles, typography etc. After that ways to start implementing artsy procedures in Inkscape. Not just rotating and scaling and texturing the basic 5 shapes.

Comment

> support for documents to hold multiple pages

There is a LibreOffice Draw alternative for PDF editing now?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I still don't know how to draw such fancy things like that logo. Is it harder to learn and use Inkscape vs commercial ones? I mean not just draw straight lines. You gotta have some artistic background. So what I'm missing is this background on colors, shapes, styles, typography etc. After that ways to start implementing artsy procedures in Inkscape. Not just rotating and scaling and texturing the basic 5 shapes.
          I have forgotten how to use it as I havent used it in almost a decade, but I found it easy to learn with good tutorials available for it.

It might be harder if you come from a different vector illustrator though as then you will have to unlrean specifics to that system

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            It requires artistic skill at least (something I don't have at all unfortunately). If you have that, congrats!

That said I still use inkscape occasionally for cleanup or extracting vector graphics from PDFs. But for most technical drawing I do a CAD program is far better for me. Or writing code to generate the technical drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

If only it could do PDF forms (that wish is bit out of scope for Inkscape, realistically, though).
              LibreOffice is wall-punchingly bad for generating all but the simplest PDF forms!
              A separate program that can just take a multi-page PDFs from Inkscape and let you lay various types of form field over it arbitrarily would probably be an adequate solution for my own needs.

(I can't even 'cheat' and use AcrobatPro at work to finish my forms, as the version on my Windows machine there refuses to pick up the site licence we have and just insists on advertising at me instead ).

Comment

Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post
                A separate program that can just take a multi-page PDFs from Inkscape and let you lay various types of form field over it arbitrarily would probably be an adequate solution for my own needs.
                I think you can do that with Scribus. Manually. Create a new scribus document. Create an image the size of the page. Use the PDF as the image source. Now add your form fields in Scribus. Export to PDF and check "Embed PDF & EPS files (EXPERIMENTAL)". This embeds the raw PDF stream (mostly) unmodified and you have the form fields as an overlay.

If you have a multi-page PDF, you have to do that step manually for every page. If you have multiple pages without forms, it is faster to just run those with forms through scribus and merge them with the rest later.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

Along with Scribus. Not that Inkscape couldn't do it before, but doing one page at a time and merging it back again was rather cumbersome.
                  Still, Inkscape's Poppler/Cairo PDF import gives most accurate result at a cost of changing text to paths, so I often find it indispensable.

Originally posted by Mathias View Post

I think you can do that with Scribus. Manually. Create a new scribus document. Create an image the size of the page. Use the PDF as the image source. Now add your form fields in Scribus. Export to PDF and check "Embed PDF & EPS files (EXPERIMENTAL)". This embeds the raw PDF stream (mostly) unmodified and you have the form fields as an overlay.

If you have a multi-page PDF, you have to do that step manually for every page. If you have multiple pages without forms, it is faster to just run those with forms through scribus and merge them with the rest later.
                  How accessibility friendly is the end result? Screen readers can deal with LO's PDFs.

Michael regarding PDF forms, this is huge improvement for many users around the world, maybe you'll find it newsworthy: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/poppl...2#note_1372657

Comment

Maybe that information from 2019 (after that, e.g. Okular has got better tools) can help someone:

How to edit PDF forms in Linux - with LibreOffice (https://dedoimedo.com/computers/pdf-...fice-draw.html)
                    Last edited by Nth_man; 17 May 2022, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X