Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
    - yakuake shows on the monitor in the right: fixed with a window rule
    This week's post actually mentioned that the above issue was just fixed. It's already in Yakuake 22.04.1 which was recently released, so you should get the fix as soon as you upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

KDE/Plasma has been a crap show ever since the release of 5.0. KDE versions 3.5.x and 4.4-4.14 were rock solid on the other hand.

I still completely dislike the monolithic nature of Plasma. KDE 3 had kicker, kdesktop and whatnot and with KDE 5 they created a monster called Plasma which has been nothing but troubles starting with its insane RAM use and ending with it being extremely fragile and prone to crashes.
      LOL, KDE 4 was one of the crappiest KDE versions ever. Talking about a shitshow… KDE 5 is miles ahead of 4. I do agree with you about 3.5, though: that one was rock solid (which is why TDE is great too!).

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
        ffs... I read this forum and I think I am doing something wrong.

Daily driver (8+ hours/day) using KDE Plasma 5.24.5 on wayland with scaling on a 4k external monitor...

...I have some very small issues:
        - yakuake shows on the monitor in the right: fixed with a window rule
        - sometimes I got a visual artifact here or there after suspend/locking: solved my minimizing and maximizing the window

But:
        - Chrome hw video decoding: working
        - Chrome raw draw: working
        - Chrome on wayland: working
        - Screensharing with mouse pointer on chrome: working
        - No crashes
        - I have a bit of customization
        - And sometimes I play a bit on steam
        - Sometimes I speed weeks without rebooting and no issues.

According to this forum i'm, a true outlier.

[AMD RENOIR, mesa 22.0.3]
        Same here. I use it on my laptop with Intel that I mostly use for work, but also I run "pro-audio" stuff on it. I switched right after 5.24 came out and I never needed to go back. Actually I have less issues there than on my home desktop PC with NVIDIA and Plasma X11 (sometimes it stutters, sometimes picks up wrong wallpaper until I click on the desktop, sometimes firefox goes black when leaving fullscreen in other applications, sometimes a black rectangle covers like 70% of the screen for few minutes after boot).

The issue with artifacts that you're describing sound a lot like what's happening to me as well - sometimes when unlocking, the screen (or one of 3 connected screens) is black until I move some stuff around to force a full refresh. I wonder if it's already reported. I cannot reproduce it each time, so it's pretty hard to come out with a meaningful description for a bug report...

Comment

Is there a way to start Plasma Wayland session on specific drm lease?
          To my knowledge both GDM and SDDM dont seem to support multisieat via drm leases.
          Clobbered solution for X11 but cant find any information regarding Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Why? You've been on Phoronix for 9 years. You know how it goes. Distro/desktop/toolkit holy wars rage on.
            You're right, but I trust that the human brain can progress ... many people who criticize this or other software, often don't even use them, it's just their holy war against those who offer alternatives to their little world.

Comment

For me the only real issue in KDE/Plasma is damn baloo. Uses too many resources. Hell, it was causing my 5800X to constantly run at 75-80C while just at the desktop (and I have a large dual tower cooler). Akonadi is another. So make that two major issues.
              Anyway, Wayland is still a no go for me. The whole Plasma desktop crashes seemingly at random times. Sometimes it recovers but sometimes I'm just left with a black desktop with unresponsive Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                For me [...]
                I cannot help you because I don't experience that (by default, Kubuntu uses X11 and disables Baloo and Akonadi). About Plasma in Wayland, it works for those people there, you may ask them e.g. what distribution and hardware they use:
                - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...83#post1323883
                - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...98#post1323898
                - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...24#post1323924
                - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...97#post1323997

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

LOL, KDE 4 was one of the crappiest KDE versions ever. Talking about a shitshow… KDE 5 is miles ahead of 4. I do agree with you about 3.5, though: that one was rock solid (which is why TDE is great too!).
                  True story. KDE 4 and poor Nvidia Optimus experience were the main reasons why I ditched Linux 10 years ago and never looked back. But then suddenly in 2017 I stumbled upon a video which showcased Manjaro KDE and I thought "Well...". Aaaaaand here we go again.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    For me the only real issue in KDE/Plasma is damn baloo. Uses too many resources. Hell, it was causing my 5800X to constantly run at 75-80C while just at the desktop (and I have a large dual tower cooler). Akonadi is another. So make that two major issues.
                    Anyway, Wayland is still a no go for me. The whole Plasma desktop crashes seemingly at random times. Sometimes it recovers but sometimes I'm just left with a black desktop with unresponsive Plasma.
                    Yes, Baloo sucks. That's the only major gripe I have with Plasma (I'm a happy camper otherwise, with only some minor gripes).

Plasma Wayland is running pretty much without any issues on my 5900HX, btw. Shouldn't be too different from your 5800X, so not sure why your experience differs. And mind you: I've used Plasma Wayland on my 5900HX in the last 8 months or so, first on Void, then a few weeks on Arch and now on openSUSE Tumbleweed.
                    I did have major issues with Plasma Wayland on my previous Intel-only machine, though.
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 16 May 2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, Baloo sucks. That's the only major gripe I have with Plasma (I'm a happy camper otherwise, with only some minor gripes).

Plasma Wayland is running pretty much without any issues on my 5900HX, btw. Shouldn't be too different from your 5800X, so not sure why your experience differs. And mind you: I've used Plasma Wayland on my 5900HX in the last 8 months or so, first on Void, then a few weeks on Arch and now on openSUSE Tumbleweed.
                      I did have major issues with Plasma Wayland on my previous Intel-only machine, though.
                      Still using a Polaris GPU, but the drivers for that should be solid. Could be a Kubuntu thing to be honest, as I have been test running EndeavourOS and Tumbleweed, and while they have other problems with Wayland, I have not experienced any Plasma crashes there as of yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X