Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Releases v1.1 Scheduler For Optimizing Linux Desktop/Laptop Responsiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think more of 'system67-scheduler' as the user-space intelligence agency for the linux-kernel. It informs the scheduler on changing circumstances as the OS is being used.

At least that is what I understand it does. If any of this is wrong, please do correct me.
    That is correct. It is a Dbus service which has three modes: Auto, Battery, Responsive. When in Auto mode, it watches UPower for battery status notifications and automatically switches between responsive and battery profiles based on being plugged into AC or on battery. These two profies tweak the CFS scheduler latencies and preempt type. Laptops on battery will switch to kernel defaults, while desktops and laptops on AC will use the low latency tweaks.

It also polls for processes periodically and automatically assigns priorities to managed processes based on rules defined in configuration files. The window manager can integrate with the service to provide foreground process PIDs for automatic priority adjustments to unmanaged processes. The foreground process and all of its subprocesses will get a designated foreground priority, and all other unmanaged processes get a background priority assignment.

If System76 is doing something, I am always worried.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I am using the TT-scheduler on my Ubuntu system. It is great for creating a very responsive system that has great performance too. To me it looks like Pop-OS borrowed heavily from that scheduler.
    First time I've heard of it. Seems to work in a completely different way.

I don't know which kernel version Pop!-OS
    5.17 at the time of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by bitterseeds View Post

It's 5.16 and maybe they don't use the exact build that Ubuntu does? Based on is never exact ... we all know this.
      Or should anyway. Even Linus bemoans that many of the mainstream distributions alter their kernels from his vanilla tree. Wouldn't normally be a problem, but it seems a lot of people don't realize this and post bugs with their distribution's kernels expecting them to be the same as Linus' tree.

Comment

I will say that Pop uses mainline kernels with minimal patching. The intent is to keep in sync with mainline updates, regression testing permitting.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

That is correct. It is a Dbus service which has three modes: Auto, Battery, Responsive. When in Auto mode, it watches UPower for battery status notifications and automatically switches between responsive and battery profiles based on being plugged into AC or on battery. These two profies tweak the CFS scheduler latencies and preempt type. Laptops on battery will switch to kernel defaults, while desktops and laptops on AC will use the low latency tweaks.

It also polls for processes periodically and automatically assigns priorities to managed processes based on rules defined in configuration files. The window manager can integrate with the service to provide foreground process PIDs for automatic priority adjustments to unmanaged processes. The foreground process and all of its subprocesses will get a designated foreground priority, and all other unmanaged processes get a background priority assignment.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

First time I've heard of it. Seems to work in a completely different way.

5.17 at the time of this post.
          Does it do ionice too? I like running stuff like system updates at idle priority.

Comment

Originally posted by nielsvl95 View Post

Since today, we got an update to 5.17.5. And those kernels are System76 specific. This is the complete name of the kernel:
            5.17.5-76051705-generic
            What is System76-specific about those kernels exactly?

In fact, the naming convention sounds suspiciously similar to Ubuntu's mainline kernel PPA:

You sure System76 isn't simply copying their kernel from there, appending the number 76 & calling it a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              If System76 is doing something, I am always worried.
              Cool story bro

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post

Does it do ionice too? I like running stuff like system updates at idle priority.
                Not currently, but I'll implement the feature in the next update to optionally define an I/O priority.

Comment

Working...
                X