X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    I wish if they focus on Wayland support

it will be nice to see first qt6 desktop too
    Me too... My experience with KDE wasn't the best and gnome isn't for every hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      I wish if they focus on Wayland support

it will be nice to see first qt6 desktop too
      Why does everything have to be about Wayland, I actually prefer X11, it is a more robust protocol even supporting piping windows over the network! Is it over engineered? Probably but it has been a standard since before I was born in the 1980s. Supports real Unix, *BSDs, Linux, Illumos distros, etc. Wayland was designed with only Linux in mind, not any of the Unix versions like AIX or HP-UX or Solaris, none of the *BSDs, no Illumos distros. So far out of the operating systems I listed only FreeBSD has landed basic wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Why does everything have to be about Wayland, I actually prefer X11, it is a more robust protocol even supporting piping windows over the network! Is it over engineered? Probably but it has been a standard since before I was born in the 1980s. Supports real Unix, *BSDs, Linux, Illumos distros, etc. Wayland was designed with only Linux in mind, not any of the Unix versions like AIX or HP-UX or Solaris, none of the *BSDs, no Illumos distros. So far out of the operating systems I listed only FreeBSD has landed basic wayland support.
        There is currently a bug in Ubuntu Jammy that disables Wayland. Going back to X11 felt like a rather extreme regression to me.

Comment

Wayland works over the network to with waypipe, you won't see wayland on AIX,HP-UX or solaris not that we even run X11 on them because they like x11 are legacy platforms with no future. X11 isn't a robust protocol that is just confusing robustness for a mature implementation.

Comment

When was the last time you needed to "pipe windows over the network"? What does that even mean? Do you even know what piping means?

The only selling point of X11 would be using desktop apps from a remote machine, but even that is utterly useless as it's horribly slow and also you can't just disconnect and resume later like on Windows RDP, so you end up buying NoMachine, TeamViewer, or something similar that actually supports this scenario.

Do one thing and do it well. Keep it simple, stupid. These things don't belong in the graphics stack, period.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

There is currently a bug in Ubuntu Jammy that disables Wayland. Going back to X11 felt like a rather extreme regression to me.
              Could you describe in a little more detail how this felt a regression?

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
                Could you describe in a little more detail how this felt a regression?
                Yes. I didn't expect to suddenly be on X11, because this is an AMD system. After upgrade and reboot, the system felt really slow, like it was under very heavy load. But then I started a video and the tearing immediately told me that I was on X11. In my opinion, tearing is not tolerable for a modern computer system.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Yes. I didn't expect to suddenly be on X11, because this is an AMD system. After upgrade and reboot, the system felt really slow, like it was under very heavy load. But then I started a video and the tearing immediately told me that I was on X11. In my opinion, tearing is not tolerable for a modern computer system.
                  This has nothing to do with Wayland, X can output tear-free easily. Try this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMD...free_rendering

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

When was the last time you needed to "pipe windows over the network"? What does that even mean? Do you even know what piping means?
                    Once I switch to OpenBSD as my daily driver (whenever that day comes) If I have need to run applications that don't work on OpenBSD and only Linux I will be using X11 forwarding over ssh probably every day! While not as simple as using a pipe like cat foo.txt | grep "word", I would call X11 forwarding similar to piping.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                      LXQT is looking good! Would be great for the Raspberry Pi especially if it leveraged the QT Vulkan backend, and the Pi's new Vulkan graphics drivers! Bet it would be smooth as butter!
                      Vulkan is better on the Raspberry Pi, but it still is what it is. VkQuake struggles to be playable above 1024x768, something my PC-from-a-scrap-heap could do handily in 1999. The notion that the Pi is a responsive machine held back by bloat or inefficient software is just incorrect. It has the fraction of the horsepower (CPU and GPU) needed to do basic day-to-day stuff unless you have a lot of patience.

That said... Yes. It would be better to get the Pi on a lightweight DE that stood on Wayland and Vulkan, I think it will be slightly less bad. It won't be a game-changer though.

Comment

Working...
                      X