No announcement yet.

KDE Has Many Plasma Wayland Fixes In Its Easter Basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until I see proper Display Control like Gamma Adjustment (NO NOT NIGHT MODE) and proper VRR+Multi Display support with better 10bit colour support... I'll stick to X11 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Sounds pretty bad tbh. Last release almost two years ago. Few one-liners here there, some reverted. The devs seem to have no clue on how to solve things.

Are there any alternatives? GDM? I can't believe there are no C++/Qt alternatives for KDE/Wayland.
      Isn't LXDM Qt these days, given that LXQt is Qt now?

Or if you don't mind installing TQt, then there's also TDM (which is basically the old KDM, but spruced up a bit and actively supported by the TDE team).
      Last edited by Vistaus; 16 April 2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Or if you don't mind installing TQt, then there's also TDM (which is basically the old KDM, but spruced up a bit and actively supported by the TDE team).
        Yes. LXQT uses QT 5.15 and is working towards QT 6.0

Comment

Originally posted by ⤐⤐⤐⤐ View Post
          KDE problems:

Any module related to install artwork needs a fucking drop shadow effect just requiring hw acceleration to perform well even if you don't have actual hardware supporting it, making the scrolling to install icons, cursor, global themes excruciating slow. KDE needs badly a theme/artwork downloader/previewer without such requirement for Jesus Crist it's just to download and preview themes it'sn't an Eletronic Art game.

Still can't use dolphin or konqueror to change files ownership from one user to another using root account.

Dolphin can't open tab next to the current tab, dolphin don't remember from last session the corrrelation between in which workspace determinate window(s) was/were open.

Making icon theme for KDE require more work than one made for GNOME, can be that, but is.

Wireless connection management just crash constantly the shell, it needs an improved or somewhat separation or improved robustness, it is triggered by Firefox overloading dbus with its "Firefoness" mainly telephone home while stalling the OS, never happens with Chrome/Chromium.

I'm using Debian Stable and GNOME starts Wayland session without problem, KDE for other hand don't support Wayland without hardware acceleration and just crash/don't open.

For what I researched Dolphin can't have background tab theming color just to itself in separate, it's really antitheming cause coloring the background tabs with an independent color from other adjacent elements is an necessity to produce good looking dark themes, current dark Breeze theme actually isn't really dark with all that waterwashed "enriched "black" (black=grayish) color tones", for darker theme appreciators dark Breeze is dirty gray and not pleasant dark, it needs more constrastive bright/light hinting elements too, like separators, outlining of adjacent area pertaining to an element, etc.
          You're on Debian with an ancient version of Plasma. Debian is always like 2 major versions behind, and has several bug fix releases behind... not to mention the frameworks and app versions are very far behind too. Tons of bug fixes have landed since Plasma 5.20... Plus thousands of quality of life improvements, UI improvements, theming improvements, performance boosts, and Wayland features + bug fixes. Plasma 5.25 is just around the corner as well and has a few hundred improvements and bug fixes of its own.

Comment

And neither supports wayland, so you are stuck on X11. Where SDDM does work quite well, without any major issues. So you have a case of change without any improvment or a real downgrade.

Comment

Ok, but is SDDM the official login manager for KDE/Plasma? Are those others planning to add Wayland support or switch to Wayland as the default option?

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post

And neither supports wayland, so you are stuck on X11. Where SDDM does work quite well, without any major issues. So you have a case of change without any improvment or a real downgrade.
                What do you mean neither supports Wayland? I've used LDXM and it works fine on Wayland.

LXQt itself also kind of supports Wayland, though it's not quite up to snuff yet like GNOME or KDE Plasma, but it's somewhat working. But should you encounter major issues with LXQt on Wayland, then you can always try LWQt, which is an LXQt fork specifically adapted for Wayland.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 16 April 2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Ok, but is SDDM the official login manager for KDE/Plasma? Are those others planning to add Wayland support or switch to Wayland as the default option?
                  SDDM is the official login manager for KDE Plasma. LXDM works fine on Wayland for me, but experiences may vary.

Comment

SDDM is the official login manager for KDE Plasma. LXDM works fine on Wayland for me, but experiences may vary.
                    But why is the official one maintained that way? It almost seems like any community project has more development effort.

Comment

I see development efforts:
                      QML based X11 and Wayland display manager. Contribute to sddm/sddm development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                      X