Google Chrome/Chromium Experimenting With A Qt Back-End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

Linux QT apps looks ugly. They look something from old windows 98/xp. Compact, box-y UIs. Yuck. It looks like they are made for someone with visual difficulties.

Modern UIs don't fit on ugly and clutter jam like plasma. It's obvious.
    Believe it or not, "modern" is not the first thing that comes to mind for everybody looking at a tablet UI on the desktop.

Comment

Would this not be a front end, rather than a backend?

Comment

It seems a good news. I'm curious about a chromium release based on Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Dialog boxes, borders, and window controls can follow the style of the graphics toolkit. That's about it. It just makes everything look the same.
          This was true maybe for GTK 2... But since that GTK has diverged from the "common norm" so much that adapting other toolkits to the style is virtually impossible.

"GTK-integration" on KDE has for years been based on custom-built Qt themes that try to emulate the looks of a native GTK theme... and you need one for each version of GTK, so the worst case scenario is that you have installed one for GTK 2, one for GTK 3 and one for GTK 4. And they will fail as soon as you change your theme on GTK or Qt away from the built-in theme.
          Last edited by curfew; 14 April 2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

What's funny is GTK programs like Firefox and Chrome can look off on GTK desktops that don't adhere to CSD like Mate and Cinnamon. A Qt Firefox or Chrome would probably look more native than the current versions on "traditional" styled desktops.
            On both Firefox and Chrome CSD is optional and, if I'm not mistaken, even not enabled by default. So if CSD integrates poorly with some desktop then solution is pretty easy - don't enable it.

Also switching to Qt probably won't change anything in that matter. Neither Firefox and Chrome are using GTK widgets. They are using GTK for some backend stuff, when they switch to Qt there won't be probably very big difference to end user. Probably the biggest advantage of that switch would be possibility to build and install them without GTK dependencies. They won't start looking like native KDE application.

Comment

They use GTK for the File Chooser window and things like that. It's very distracting on my KDE Wayland desktop when I'm presented with that GNOME CSD bullcrap.
              Put
              Code:
              export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
              in your
              Code:
              ~/.profile
              and many GTK applications will use the KDE file chooser. Chrome ist amongst them.

Comment

They use GTK for the File Chooser window and things like that. It's very distracting on my KDE Wayland desktop when I'm presented with that GNOME CSD bullcrap.
                In latest versions of Firefox you can switch to KDE/QT file pickers by simply going to about:config and changing the value of "widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker" to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  True so, but the number of times I've used this feature in Windows/Qt dialogs is less than 10 in my entire life ;-)
                  and yet it's still there and quite useful.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                    What's the advantages over GTK ?
                    Not being Gtk.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Believe it or not, "modern" is not the first thing that comes to mind for everybody looking at a tablet UI on the desktop.
                      Good thing that neither GNOME or GTK have tablet UI.

Comment

Working...
                      X