Google Chrome/Chromium Experimenting With A Qt Back-End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

... No... Neither of those are licensed LGPL.
    Some components are, but the majority of both is MIT/BSD.
    Well, most of Chromium is BSD or MIT with only a small part in Blink being LGPL, true, though the mix makes the whole LGPL. Qt though is not BSD, it is commercial/LGPL, with a deal with Free Qt foundation that would force the commercial license to BSD if they stop releasing new Qt releases under LGPL, but no part of Qt is currently under BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They use GTK for the File Chooser window and things like that. It's very distracting on my KDE Wayland desktop when I'm presented with that GNOME CSD bullcrap. I need to go back to using that SUSE Firefox AUR package. It really helps with the CSD bullcrap. Just in the past week I've downloaded a few things by accident because I instinctively clicked the save button because CSD bullcrap means the Save button is where Close is located on every goddamn thing else.
      Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

For the file choosers, I've been using export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 for ages.
      Originally posted by Shagga, Son of Dolf View Post
      Put
      Code:
      export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
      in your
      Code:
      ~/.profile
      and many GTK applications will use the KDE file chooser. Chrome ist amongst them.
      There has been no need to use export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 since a good while ago. Nowadays you can just enable widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker in about:config and you're all set.

Also, I don't know about Chrome, but Chromium does use the KDE file picker out of the box.

EDIT: Damn it, I can't believe I hit that reply button just one comment too soon :P

Originally posted by mastermind View Post
      In latest versions of Firefox you can switch to KDE/QT file pickers by simply going to about:config and changing the value of "widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker" to 1.
      Last edited by Nocifer; 16 April 2022, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
        There has been no need to use export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 since a good while ago. Nowadays you can just enable widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker in about:config and you're all set.
        Technically, there isn't "no need"... it just may be overkill for some people's purposes.

After all, if your goal is to get KDE dialogs in as many applications as possible, your non-Firefox applications aren't going to listen to widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

What's so good about libQt as opposed to libgtk aside from differences in font rendering and dubious GTK file open/save dialogs? I'm genuinely curious.
          LibQt integrates better on your system, if you uses Gnome or any other GTK environment, it would be the same, even using your desktop theme, but if you uses environment based in any other framework it would integrate better by default.

Comment

Working...
          X