Firefox 99 Available With Strengthened Linux Sandbox, Web MIDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I just have the impression MIDI to music is the same as an animated GIF to video.
    Then read the facts, MIDI is a protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      It will also increase your web traffic and make the browser run slower without you even realizing what is going on. The effort is probably pretty futile anyway as advertising companies can detect this kind of behavior and filter out scripted clicks if it makes sense business-wise. It also doesn't make your data any less valuable after that.

The worst-case scenario is the inflation of displaying ads and price per click going down to zero. (This is happening already anyway, though, based on what I read elsewhere.)
      Yeah, possibly, but I've never noticed any slowdowns and some sites that ad blockers break work with this. The way I see it, the potential slowdowns will happen with any ad blocker -- it is what it is. If everything is fast enough that I'm happy then that's good enough for me.

Comment

I just have the impression MIDI to music is the same as an animated GIF to video.
        Not MIDI as in .mid files that are used to store some simple tune (basically sheet music using MIDI protocol) which indeed most often will sound primitive (mostly courtesy of what whatever shit soundfont comes pre-packaged with your sound card)

MIDI as the actual serial protocol that is used to send control events between computers, control interface (keyboard, but also control consoles, etc.) and devices (synths and expander boxes, but also controlled lights, etc.)
        Used to be transmitted over 5-pin DIN connector, nowadays you'll find it over USB or even over more high-performance lines (over network).

They have something in common in that .mid files use the MIDI protocol to store the list of notes that needs to be player, but MIDI is used for much much much more than that.

Comment

MIDI is basically highly detailed sheet music file storage and protocol so it's more comparable to vector graphics.
          Anyhow, the online use is mostly learning services for keyboards and drums.

Comment

Firefox for me is slow as fuck and often freezes the computer, Chrome on other hand flies high in the skies.

Comment

Now I am wondering what's Google intent when bringin up WebMIDI? What's their use-case for having it in the browser?
              - web apps on a web-only device like Chromebooks, so artists could use them on the go without needing to fumble with solutions to run linux containers and/or android apps?
              - sharing instrument over internet, e.g., online jam sessions?

Comment

Originally posted by ⤐⤐⤐⤐ View Post
                Firefox for me is slow as fuck and often freezes the computer, Chrome on other hand flies high in the skies.
                Are you using Wayland? For me it flies on Wayland. Just install firefox from flathub and then use flatseal to turn off permission for xorg and it moves to wayland and is very snippy for me.

It is also very sharp with fractional scaling on Wayland.

(I also have a bunch of adblocking extensions which may help in getting rid of slow running scripts etc)

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                  Has anyone worked out when Firefox‘s version number will overtake Chrome‘s, at their current release schedules?
                  Not much left to work out at this point: Chrome just released v100, Firefox v99. Firefox has a shorter release cycle, so it will overtake Chrome the next release or the one after that.
                  But that is futile, nothing beats being the first to 100 :P

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    It will also increase your web traffic and make the browser run slower without you even realizing what is going on. The effort is probably pretty futile anyway as advertising companies can detect this kind of behavior and filter out scripted clicks if it makes sense business-wise. It also doesn't make your data any less valuable after that.

The worst-case scenario is the inflation of displaying ads and price per click going down to zero. (This is happening already anyway, though, based on what I read elsewhere.)
                    if someone doesn't realize the ad hider that explicitly states it clicks on ads instead of blocking them will increase your traffic and cpu usage (albeit by a very, very minimal amount not even firefox on a celeron n3050 has a noticeable performance hit vs no ad block). then they need to internet better.

as for fighting against the script clicking, you can disable it if you wish, the ads will still load, or you can set it to rarely happen in an effort to avoid click filtering. both of which are still better financially for the sire then blocking the ads. and as you stated clicks are becoming worth less and less anyways, so I don't think it's much of a concern.

Comment

The only advantages Firefox has over Chrome(ium) at this point of time are
                      1. Works almost perfectly under Wayland with proper hidpi scaling. Chrome(ium) completely fucks up its scaling on hidpi displays and I'm always forced to fucking down-res the display from 4K to 1080 instead as a workaround.
                      2. Works with almost all known drivers under Wayland. i915, i965, crocus, iris, nouveau, amdgpu, radeon, zink, llvmpipe...you name it. Especially nouveau, and even under Optimus. Chrome(ium) throws a fucking fit when used under Optimus conditions with the nouveau driver under Wayland.
                      3. Works with IMEs like fcitx5 and ibus under Wayland, which is bloody important for Chinese and Japanese input. Chrome(ium) completely ignores IMEs on Wayland
                      4. Doesn't tear under Wayland and redraws scrolling content properly when the browser is set to use software rendering and software compositing. Try running Chrome(ium) with --disable-gpu-compositing (which is absolutely fucking neccessary when trying to use it with drivers like nouveau) or --disable-gpu and watch the browser contents tear itself to hell or skip some scrolls to the point where the content displayed in the browser is completely unreliable; more than half the time the link you are clicking on is not what you think it is, but is instead another portion of the content that missed its scroll.
                      And yet Chrome(ium) has none of these problems in Windows and macOS.
                      Last edited by Sonadow; 05 April 2022, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X