GNOME's Nautilus Could See Big Improvements, New Image Viewer Coming Into Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
    Also there are features that (only) I probably need and/or know how to use or that they exist, i.e. one can add metadata to a video file and the most important parts of it will be shown inline along with the file name but in a lighter (gray) color:

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
      I like the idea that nautilus will be used as file-picker as well. Kind of like in MacOS. This also avoids the need to implement a lot of things twice, in GTK and nautilus
      Kind of like in most OS's/DE's, not just macOS. Deepin also works like that, AmigaOS 4 also works like that, Ubuntu Touch also works like that, Haiku also works like that, KDE doesn't but the file picker does look and feel like Dolphin with quite a few options from Dolphin to choose from, etc.
      Last edited by Vistaus; 05 April 2022, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

That would be a bad expectation. Merely using Rust bindings aren't going to double anything.
        Compiling hundreds of crates n times is.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Was that dot in the title intended?
          Is the tilde in you user name intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Compiling hundreds of crates n times is.
            I don't see anything using anything close to hundreds of crates in GNOME. So I don't see the relevance.

Comment

Besides the abysmal performance, no useful features have been added to it, only features removed.
              Indeed. It doesn't solve all the paper cuts, but thankfully nemo (from Mint/Cinnamon) is still pretty much a drop in replacement for nautilus. Delete gvfs, use kernel cifs/nfs drivers, and tune nemo's preview handling, and I don't find it offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I don't see anything using anything close to hundreds of crates in GNOME. So I don't see the relevance.
                Then buy a pair of glasses. Shortwave and Podcasts, to name two I use, each download ~280 crates.

Comment

Then buy a pair of glasses. Shortwave and Podcasts, to name two I use, each download ~280 crates.
                  No need to be rude. I was referring to the direct dependencies. It looks like you are talking about indirect dependencies as well. What is the compilation time on those for you?
                  Last edited by RahulSundaram; 06 April 2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Besides the abysmal performance, no useful features have been added to it, only features removed.
                    To be fair, XFCE's Thunar is even slower than Nautilus when doing a large number of I/O operations. Nautilus is especially bad at rendering previews because it keeps changing the size of the viewport, forcing the window to scroll randomly, making it hard to select anything before it's 100% done.

Comment

So with that much Rust I can now expect to at least double the compilation time of everything? Looking forward to it.
                      Double compilation time (well not quite, if you compare to C++ it's about the same really) for much better security and potentially runtime performance? Yes, sign me up please.

Comment

Working...
                      X