No announcement yet.

GNOME's Nautilus Could See Big Improvements, New Image Viewer Coming Into Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea that nautilus will be used as file-picker as well. Kind of like in MacOS. This also avoids the need to implement a lot of things twice, in GTK and nautilus

Comment

The most hated thing in Nautilus is that when you use the keyboard, it does a "search" instead a type-ahead.
      Doing this on SAMBA shared is ATROCIOUS in speed.
      KDE's Dolphin is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better in this.

Comment

Frankly speaking, Dolphin's type-ahead has been semi-broken for last couple of years. It doesn't switch to the next matching item as user inputs the same sequence of letters.
        A relevant bug report is https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422951

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
          In the end, I am back to KDE on X11... because when I try KDE on Wayland, the whole system hard locks... Linux is so delightful some times.
          KDE's Wayland support isn't mature. You didn't said what graphic card you have. If it's nvidia then don't even mention this crap.

Comment

In Nautilus I find it frustrating that when I type a letter it does a recursive search instead of just moving to the that starts with that letter.

In GTK, I think it is bad that the file picker does not do any thumbnail previews of of images.

I fear that Adwaita might reduce ability for users to have their own themes. I really like the Adwaita theme, I think it is beautiful, but I also like having a theme with the Gruvbox color palette (see GTK theme) which really improves my eye comfort during evenings and nights.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Gruvbox color palette (see GTK theme) which really improves my eye comfort during evenings and nights.
              But isn't it easier to just turn on Night Color?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                So with that much Rust I can now expect to at least double the compilation time of everything? Looking forward to it.
                That would be a bad expectation. Merely using Rust bindings aren't going to double anything.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

But isn't it easier to just turn on Night Color?
                  I always use nightlight and love it. Nightlight in GNOME is great, it helps reduces the blue hues, however I still need a dark theme with nightlight. I can use Adwaita Dark, which overall is a nice theme that I like but it has white text on black background and vibrant colors. Gruvbox has this more yellowish hue that is not white for text color which makes it really comfortable. Gruvbox also have more dull colors which are nice at evenings and nights.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    Nautilus really must be one of the worst pieces of open source software ever written. First we have the 0.5-1 second delay for displaying contents of a folder
                    [...]
                    Besides the abysmal performance, no useful features have been added to it, only features removed.
                    I couldn't agree more!

What about file content search? Not only it depends on indexing in order to work, but the indexing service (tracker) is one of the slowest piece of software I've ever seen, regardless if you have a fast nvme/cpu. But wait because it gets worse! File content seems to only work with text file extensions -- try to create a text file and write anything there then rename to .zip or .pdf or .bin or whatever and Nautilus will never find anything inside it.

Also, the pathbar is not accessible without using the keyboard shortcut (ctrl+l), no indication whether it's running as sudo/admin or not, 'other locations' hiding non-portable units, sorting might be case sensitive if LC_COLLATE variable is exported, no thumbnails in list view if zoom is not set to at least 150%, file transfer has no pause/resume, etc, etc. It's simply unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                      If it reaches a decent state, it would be great if you posted it on Github, it would be good to have more alternative file managers and it also gives people the chance to contribute if they want to.

I nearly started my own file manager, but fortunately at the time I discovered Marlin (which later got forked as Pantheon Files), which doesn't have most of the problems Nautilus has, so I just decided to add my own patches to Marlin in order to suit my preferences.

But I only build it on Ubuntu (because that's what I use), hence Github lists the Ubuntu dependencies.

Comment

Working...
                      X