No announcement yet.

KDE Starts April With Many Fixes, KWrite Internally Using The Same Code As Kate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Starts April With Many Fixes, KWrite Internally Using The Same Code As Kate

Phoronix: KDE Starts April With Many Fixes, KWrite Internally Using The Same Code As Kate

This week brought "an enormous number of Plasma bugfixes and UI improvements" and other changes to the KDE desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is kwin_wayland still killing all applications and sending your unsaved work to /dev/null when it crashes or even just if there's a GPU reset or when someone sneezes?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Is kwin_wayland still killing all applications and sending your unsaved work to /dev/null when it crashes or even just if there's a GPU reset or when someone sneezes?
      AFAIK yes, recent versions do survive sneezing tho.

Comment

KDE many years ago: Let's have the same editor named differently, one with tabs and the other one without.

Comment

Would have been nice to get Wacom tablet support on Plasma Wayland and not only on X11 :-(

Comment

Phoronix: The Vision For KDE Plasma According To Its Developers Developers on KDE's Plasma team have constructed a vision statement for what they view as

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

AFAIK yes, recent versions do survive sneezing tho.
              Not in my experience. Using the latest versions as a daily driver and it still doesn't save anything when it crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                KDE many years ago: Let's have the same editor named differently, one with tabs and the other one without.
                Both Kate and KWrite suck, regardless of having tabs or not. I really like KDE, but these are about the only default KDE apps I immediately uninstall.

Not to mention that the name KWrite is confusing, as there's also a the kwrited daemon that doesn't have anything to do with KWrite.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  Would have been nice to get Wacom tablet support on Plasma Wayland and not only on X11 :-(
                  It would be nice for wayland to properly support tablets, the protocol has been in unstable for years now without touching it. gnome and other compositors implement support for it, and I think plasma has some code wired up. but I don't have a wacom, or even a tablet so I cannot comment other then some of the code is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Both Kate and KWrite suck, regardless of having tabs or not. I really like KDE, but these are about the only default KDE apps I immediately uninstall.
                    Suck compared to what? Certainly not gedit. Notepad on Windows? TextEdit on macOS? I'm having a hard time thinking of a better out-of-the-box text editor. I happily paid for a Sublime Text license to have a great GUI text editor that works across Windows / macOS / Linux, but lately I haven't bothered to install Sublime Text on all my Linux systems as Kate has gotten pretty powerful. Multiple cursors was a nice recent edition. One of the main things I'd still like to see is an enhancement to sessions so that unsaved files always survive, even on unclean shutdown scenarios.

Also, sucks how? What specifically don't you like about it?

Comment

Working...
                    X