KDE Starts April With Many Fixes, KWrite Internally Using The Same Code As Kate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Both Kate and KWrite suck, regardless of having tabs or not. I really like KDE, but these are about the only default KDE apps I immediately uninstall.

Not to mention that the name KWrite is confusing, as there's also a the kwrited daemon that doesn't have anything to do with KWrite.
    I liked KDE 1-3 but can't stand it since v4. Its only redeeming apps are Kate, which is my fave GUI Linux text editor / IDE, and KDEnlive.

Comment

It'd be nice if kio-fuse was used when throwing stuff from Dolphin into Konsole, e.g. "mpv drag&drop video file from SMB share".

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Is kwin_wayland still killing all applications and sending your unsaved work to /dev/null when it crashes or even just if there's a GPU reset or when someone sneezes?
        That is in the works!

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Is kwin_wayland still killing all applications and sending your unsaved work to /dev/null when it crashes or even just if there's a GPU reset or when someone sneezes?
          Haha, I remember when my headless virtual machines used to die when Gnome Shell crashed on Wayland. I don't know if that's fixed by now since Gnome Shell has not been crashing for about a couple years...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Both Kate and KWrite suck, regardless of having tabs or not. I really like KDE, but these are about the only default KDE apps I immediately uninstall.

Not to mention that the name KWrite is confusing, as there's also a the kwrited daemon that doesn't have anything to do with KWrite.
            Are you kidding me? Kate is the best editor out there! It is like a mini IDE environment. It is installed on all my Linux, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD machines, I even use it on my work related MacBook Pro!

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Suck compared to what? Certainly not gedit. Notepad on Windows? TextEdit on macOS? I'm having a hard time thinking of a better out-of-the-box text editor. I happily paid for a Sublime Text license to have a great GUI text editor that works across Windows / macOS / Linux, but lately I haven't bothered to install Sublime Text on all my Linux systems as Kate has gotten pretty powerful. Multiple cursors was a nice recent edition. One of the main things I'd still like to see is an enhancement to sessions so that unsaved files always survive, even on unclean shutdown scenarios.

Also, sucks how? What specifically don't you like about it?
              I may not have been as clear. As a mini-IDE, Kate seems really nice, but we were talking about text editing.

As a text editor, Kate is bloated, slow at times and has too many things all over the place making it look overwhelming and confusing. KWrite has too few features, not such a nice interface and it's not as lightweight nor as fast as it oughtta be.
              I don't need an IDE, but I would use either Kate or Sublime as an IDE. However, for text editing, the only one that satisfies me is FeatherPad. It has enough features without being bloated, a clean and easy-to-use interface, is always super-duper fast and uses only the bare minimum of resources while still being a Qt app. Plus the dev is really nice and very active and has been so for years.

And yes, gedit sucks. A LOT. Compared to gedit, KWrite isn't so bad. Not good, but less bad than gedit.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 03 April 2022, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Are you kidding me? Kate is the best editor out there! It is like a mini IDE environment. It is installed on all my Linux, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD machines, I even use it on my work related MacBook Pro!
                Sorry, I meant that Kate and KWrite suck as a text editor. As a mini-IDE, Kate seems really nice.

Comment

I really dearly love KDE, but reading about any Wayland fixes in any update feels like a spit in the face each time. It had annoying bugs three years ago, two years ago and even a few months when I tested it with the 5.23 release.

I will keep using KDE as I did the last 6+ years, but not expect Wayland support to be daily-driver ready within the next 1–2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Draget View Post
                    I really dearly love KDE, but reading about any Wayland fixes in any update feels like a spit in the face each time. It had annoying bugs three years ago, two years ago and even a few months when I tested it with the 5.23 release.

I will keep using KDE as I did the last 6+ years, but not expect Wayland support to be daily-driver ready within the next 1–2 years.
                    it depends on the person, I have been daily driving KDE for a while now and not once experienced a crash that wasn't of my own doing. some bugs here and there. (particularly KDEconnect) but nothing that would break usage for me

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      it depends on the person, I have been daily driving KDE for a while now and not once experienced a crash that wasn't of my own doing. some bugs here and there. (particularly KDEconnect) but nothing that would break usage for me
                      The showstoppers I have may be due to nvidia's driver. Under wayland, sometimes there's a GPU reset. This makes kwin kill all my applications. There's also the issue where switching a game to fullscreen mode results in kwin capping FPS from 120 (I use 120Hz mode for the desktop) to 80. Also, shortcuts seems to not work correctly anymore? For example I use F12 to toggle the yakuake terminal. I press F12, it comes up. If I press F12 again, yakuake doesn't hide. There's no way to close it again whatsoever. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable compositing for games.

Comment

Working...
                      X