Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WirePlumber 0.4.9 Fixes Surround Sound For Some Linux Games

Phoronix: WirePlumber 0.4.9 Fixes Surround Sound For Some Linux Games

WirePlumber is the increasingly used session/policy manager for PipeWire for audio/video streams on the Linux desktop. Out this weekend is WirePlumber 0.4.9 with some important fixes and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This very well could be the thing that gets me to switch to PW on my gaming PC. Surround sound was the main reason I've held off doing so.

Comment

I am the one that reported the issue and this is the final result!

https://odysee.com/@GraysonPeddie:6/...-ffxii-1080p:d
      https://odysee.com/@GraysonPeddie:6/...proton-1080p:0

Also, it deals with Steam's Proton, which is based on Wine. Previously, before the release of Wireplumber 0.4.9 I replaced Pipewire-Pulse with PulseAudio that will give me 5.1 surround sound with Proton. This involved installing Pipewire-Jack and I have the following configuration that will give me 5.1 with a PulseAudio package installed.

Code:
      gpeddie@epcotcenter
      ~
      $ cat .pulse/default.pa
      load-module module-native-protocol-unix
      load-module module-jack-sink channels=6
      load-module module-jack-source channels=1
      load-module module-null-sink
      load-module module-stream-restore
      load-module module-rescue-streams
      load-module module-always-sink
      load-module module-suspend-on-idle
      set-default-sink jack_out
      set-default-source jack_in
      Now with 0.4.9 of Wireplumber, I don't need that config file anymore, but I decided to keep it just in case I want to switch back to PulseAudio and PulseAudio-Jack in the future. Sure, Pipewire-Pulse is a drop-in replacement, but I will never know until I have a reason for switching to PulseAudio.

schmidtbag, give Pipewire with the latest version of Wireplumber 0.4.9 a try.

And thank you Michael for the article.
      Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 27 March 2022, 10:19 PM.

Comment

The issue is now closed. Every Proton/Wine game that makes use of surround sound should work now.

Comment

Working...
        X