GNOME 42 Released With Many Improvements From Wayland To GTK4 Porting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post

It´s actively worked on in wayland.. IMHO gnome is not required to support HDR, wayland needs to support it, once that´s done, the application can notify wayland if it want´s it surfaces to be 10bit / apply a HDR Gamma Curve on them..
    As far as i understand the current development in wayland, they want to combine Color Management and HDR and release them together, somehow makes sense, as gamma curves and translation between two colorspaces is almost the same operation, you get an input 3 channel value and generate an ouput 3 channel value via a LUT or some function.

In the previouspost,we learned what HDR is: a larger luminance range that requires more bits percomponent, new transfer functions to encode that luminance, a...

Comment

Originally posted by sebastianlacuesta View Post
      Using on Debian and looks nice. Except that thanks to my nvidia gpu wanting an xserver and not having the option to choose between wayland and x11 in gdm anymore. Yes, now I can use optimus again (bumblebee broke long time ago and needed to remove it), but lost the nice multitouch gestures because of the x11 dinosaur. Hope some day nvidia play nice with XWayland and X11 would be a thing of the past for most software.
      This should work out of the box. How did you upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        By applying pressure to Wayland community.
        Wayland has been developed for over a decade and has nothing to show for it. Yeah it may work and yeah it may have more secure GUI over RDP, but i dont use guy for RDP. i am happy with SSH. i want my gui to take advantage of hardware I have. We Linux users are always 2-3 steps behind, its annoying. Gnome could implement some GUI calls, something ahead of wayland in terms of HDR. Windows and Mac already have it, you can guess based on their API on how it will work anyway. So when HDR becomes available in wayland some skeleton for HDR is there in Gnome.
        don't be THAT person...

In the previouspost,we learned what HDR is: a larger luminance range that requires more bits percomponent, new transfer functions to encode that luminance, a...

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

This should work out of the box. How did you upgrade?
          With packages from testing, unstable and experimental by using apt pinning.

Comment

Regarding thing font rendering issue, people can't complain about Linux desktop experience not being competitive against Apple and Microsoft and at the same time accuse GNOME devs of making the same decisions as them.

Of course it will have to be tweaked and worked on, but I mostly understand their approach.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
              Regarding thing font rendering issue, people can't complain about Linux desktop experience not being competitive against Apple and Microsoft and at the same time accuse GNOME devs of making the same bad decisions as them.
              FTFY

Of course it will have to be tweaked and worked on, but I mostly understand their approach.
              I mostly agree too, but it would have been nice if the GTK devs had aimed a little higher and got the best of both worlds.

Comment

Sorry to say, but I did lost all hope with GNOME many years ago. GNOME zealots call it hate, but that is said by fanatics.

Comment

ⲣⲂaggins Thanks for bringing that up. Text in GTK4 apps, on a 27" 2560x1440 display at 1x scale, is indeed very ugly and straining on my eyes.

Friendly reminder to everybody: this is not just about old hardware and old displays. Dell is selling laptops *today* with powerful Intel Xe graphics and HDMI 1.0 ports that have a maximum pixel clock rate of 165MHz. The highest standard resolution you can get out of them is 1920x1080 at 60Hz (SDR of course). If you want to, say, drive an external 2560x1440 display, you can do that at 30Hz if you define your own display mode. They're apparently loved by companies and given to employees for both company office use and home office/smart working use.
                  They will outlive the GNOME 40 series and GTK4.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post

It´s actively worked on in wayland.. IMHO gnome is not required to support HDR, wayland needs to support it
                    Interesting. Normally, the general concensus is “Wayland shouldn't be like X11, so DE's/WM's must implement everything on their own”.
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 24 March 2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
                      ⲣⲂaggins Thanks for bringing that up. Text in GTK4 apps, on a 27" 2560x1440 display at 1x scale, is indeed very ugly and straining on my eyes.
                      Same issue on my 23" 2560x1440p monitor. Text in Qt apps looks near-perfect, but in GTK apps it looks like utter ****, even GTK3 apps. It clearly can be done correctly, as Qt apps prove.

Comment

Working...
                      X