GNOME 42 Released With Many Improvements From Wayland To GTK4 Porting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 42 Released With Many Improvements From Wayland To GTK4 Porting

Phoronix: GNOME 42 Released With Many Improvements From Wayland To GTK4 Porting

GNOME 42 is out today as the latest half-year update for this widely-used, open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool release, congrats and thanks to the GNOME devs for all of their work!

Comment

Horrible video, reminiscent of Apple's hype-generating, now you see it, now you don't, pulling-stuff-away-from-your-eyes-every-other-frame videos that only make sense in a designer's mind.
      GNOME has done actual showcase videos with voiceover in the past. This just hurts and isn't useful at all.
      Nice release otherwise.

Comment

It's funny how the release notes in Phoronix seem to be infinitely more interesting than the official ones.
        Is it a symptom of the priorities of the developers of Gnome being completely misaligned with my own desires?

I have no skin in the DE wars (I've been running Windows as my main desktop since the 3.1 days), but it's hard to get excited over: new terminal and text-editor apps, a redesigned screenshotting experience, basic apps such as the calculator being now delivered as flatpack (with all the bloat it entails).

Not only it's 2022, and screen-snippers, image viewers, terminals and text editors have been perfectly stable and useable since the nineties. It is also that those are the kind of utilities that users might have strong opinions about and prefer using their chosen ones instead of the defaults (ex: I prefer wscite, irfanview, putty over their win native equivalents). It feels like a lot of waste when every DE under the sun feels the need to code from scratch all the basic system utilities...
        Last edited by gggeek; 24 March 2022, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Have the text rendering regressions in GTK4 been fixed yet?
          I'll check it myself in the coming days. There hasn't been any activity lately on the relevant threads at gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk
          The two regressions are
          1.) Subpixel rendering has been dropped
          2.) Subpixel positioning is on by default
          Regression Home discards nearly 2/3 of the horizontal resolution on standard LCD displays (the overwhelming majority of displays on the market today).
          Regression Forum discards roughly half the horizontal and vertical resolution of all displays.
          There are valid situations where it's useful to do Home or #2, but text for reading isn't one of them. Even though most people think they're immune to eye strain, studies have shown that almost all people suffer from eye strain if they spend long periods (ie hours per day) at a computer.

Comment

re my previous post: Learned the hard way that '#1' autocorrects to a 'Home' link and '#2' sometimes autocorrects to a 'Forum' link after posting to the Phoronix forum. Now I know! Now to find an edit button... ;-)

Comment

And still no HDR...

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                And still no HDR...
                How do you propose they add this when Wayland doesn't support HDR yet and Xorg doesn't support it and probably never will?

Comment

Originally posted by gggeek View Post
                  It's funny how the release notes in Phoronix seem to be infinitely more interesting than the official ones.
                  absolutely true!

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                    And still no HDR...
                    still no freesync in wayland too. its all i want.

Comment

Working...
                    X