No announcement yet.

KDE Marching Ahead In March With More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Marching Ahead In March With More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Marching Ahead In March With More Plasma Wayland Fixes, Other Improvements

KDE developers remain very busy and productive even with everything going on in the world. This week the KDE desktop enjoyed many more fixes and improvements across the board...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In Qt5 from Ubuntu 21.10 QClipboard doesn't work under Plasma/Wayland and I don't know which part of the desktop stack is broken.

Comment

A guy posted in Nate's site: "Dolphin has a shortcut to create a file", I was bit by it too so many times, had to improvise a shortcut input action and had to open space rebinding other shortcuts and it messed my shortcuts' schemes all across the board. I go further, KDE need a way to bind a shortcut not just to create a txt but a way to bind wherever filetype the user needs to work with to wherever shortcut (possible) association the user see fit.

Another problem is XFCE notification system daemon hijacking KDE notification system and KDE not being able to prevent it or revert it from inside KDE.

I upgraded my *64-current installation and then upgraded to the latest KDE5/Plasma packages (February release) and this seemed to have broken

Tiling is problematic too, KDE being the The de facto Linux desktop needs to cater for all kinds of users or will open a flank just like the de facto predecessor one did and the history don't ended good for it.

Another thing, why cursor file format is so bad to deal with, use gimp to edit them is pure suffering, that's why we don't have more good artwork available.

And KDE should embrace theming community more visibly, just like games have modders, DEs have themers, the DE who embrace theme community has the influence and soft power of adhension/adoption to spread its presence, the previous de facto DE just kicked the theming community in the nuts and they are now abandoned.

My previous mentioned KDE issues:

KDE Plasma DE things in need of improvements:

Excused some misinformation hear are the suggestions:

Dragon Player needs to play videos inside trash bin (totem can do it) making you able to check out files without need to restore them to original place from where they were deleted.

Dolphin needs a built-in feature to make it activates the quick filtering straight from typing ordinary character keys (aka letter keys) and an automatic select subfeature added to quick filtering, cause if you use pure keyboard to quick filter, you have to shift tab and tab tab and up to get the selection highlight out of quick filter bar and inside viewport, individually common letters keys are not bindable to keyboard shortcut keybinding globally as a shortcut, why not facilitate users lives and cut the extra steps or at least make an opt-in option available.

Dolphin needs a built-in feature to set a keyboard shortcut to create a new empty file text and optimally a built-in way to set keyboard shortcuts to create others filetypes too.

Another thing in need to be analysed by KDE developers is when an intensive dbus software (like Firefox) starts to rogue the responsiveness of whole DE affecting app switching, I'm not saying to suggest users to kill the offender app, I'm saying maybe something could be implemented to avoid an intensive dbus app from interfere and make the DE become slow.

I understand Activities purpose, however the filemanager widget is not usable as a full featured file manager and such a thing hinders its appeal, if I was able to use dolphin "as an widget" instead maybe, I would be very happy, cause it would give me an kind of "workspace" storation/restoration tied to file management or vice-versa, and that surely could increase my productivity.

Customization of KDE Plasma panel (aka inferior panel/taskbar), why the user needs to download an style to change its color, me really thinks the built-in colorscheme editor KDE Plasma has should comprises the Desktop panel color.

-x-x-x-x-

Another additions:

A session manager more managementeous like the XFCE one, where you can save sessions independently and having the optability to choose which session to open.

Support something similar to Windows link format file, so the user can use link file (file.lnk) to points to ~/ (i.e. file.lnk -> ~/file) , this allow to use position or name independent home folders and make possible to use the same set of files over different named home folder with different directory deepness.

Comment

Sounds like we are more sitting around talking instead of working.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          In Qt5 from Ubuntu 21.10 QClipboard doesn't work under Plasma/Wayland and I don't know which part of the desktop stack is broken.
          What have you done so far to try to minimize the reproducer?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

What have you done so far to try to minimize the reproducer?
            What do you think you're asking? "the reproducer" haha

Comment

I believe this bug has been fixed long ago in the Qt5 patch collection maintained by the KDE devs:
              As Qt 5 support is drawing to a close, and we shift to Qt 6, we need to ensure that KDE products are as reliable as ever. To this end, KDE will be maintaining a set of patches with security and functional fixes so that we can enjoy good KDE Software still based on Qt5 until our software is reliably based on Qt 6. You can find more information on the technical details of this patch collection here. “The Qt Company and KDE have been co-operating in development of Qt 6 actively and KDE is well set to migrate to Qt 6.

Fedora and ArchLinux ship qt5 5.15.2 plus the KDE patches... it's odd that Ubuntu does not.

Comment

Originally posted by codewiz View Post

I believe this bug has been fixed long ago in the Qt5 patch collection maintained by the KDE devs:
                As Qt 5 support is drawing to a close, and we shift to Qt 6, we need to ensure that KDE products are as reliable as ever. To this end, KDE will be maintaining a set of patches with security and functional fixes so that we can enjoy good KDE Software still based on Qt5 until our software is reliably based on Qt 6. You can find more information on the technical details of this patch collection here. “The Qt Company and KDE have been co-operating in development of Qt 6 actively and KDE is well set to migrate to Qt 6.

Fedora and ArchLinux ship qt5 5.15.2 plus the KDE patches... it's odd that Ubuntu does not.
                Not odd at all. It's tradition at Ubuntu (and Debian) to ship ancient versions of Qt. I'd say it's odd people keep using Ubuntu and complaining it ships with old Qt, KDE, whatever. Though that also seems to be a tradition, in a way.

Multi-cursor would have been my top of the list, fwiw.

Comment

What do you think you're asking? "the reproducer" haha
                  1. Have you tried running code which exhibits the problem against other compositors to determine whether it's Wayland or KDE or both that's required?
                  2. I remember you being a programmer. (Weren't you the guy developing his own file manager?) Have you tried writing a minimal Qt project that produces the problem to narrow down what triggers it on the application side?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Not odd at all. It's tradition at Ubuntu (and Debian) to ship ancient versions of Qt. I'd say it's odd people keep using Ubuntu and complaining it ships with old Qt, KDE, whatever. Though that also seems to be a tradition, in a way.
                    Personally, while I'm not a huge fan of Canonical, my reasoning has been that I hate the tooling surrounding RPM more than I hate outdated Qt and I haven't had time to maintain an install of a rolling release distro since that very problem drove me to switch from Gentoo to Lubuntu LTSes back around 2012.

Comment

Working...
                    X