Wine 7.4 Released With VKD3D Bundled, WineD3D/D3D12/DXGI Converted To PE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.4 Released With VKD3D Bundled, WineD3D/D3D12/DXGI Converted To PE

Phoronix: Wine 7.4 Released With VKD3D Bundled, WineD3D/D3D12/DXGI Converted To PE

Wine 7.4 is out today as the newest bi-weekly development snapshot of this open-source software for enjoying Windows games and applications on Linux and other operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wine has been developing VKD3D for a while and is the base for Valve's VKD3D-Proton offshoot.
    Not really.
    AFAIK, the codebases diverged long ago and have basically nothing in common anymore.
    Is also the reason why VKD3D-Proton is a really solid API translator already while CodeWeaver's upstream VKD3D is (practically) totally useless.

JoshuaAshton
    could provide more insight...

Comment

I’m actually surprised that Valve hasn’t acquired CodeWeavers yet. I wonder how much revenue CodeWeavers generates from its CrossOver product in comparison to the contract they have with Valve around Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by rhadlee View Post
        I wonder how much revenue CodeWeavers generates from its CrossOver product in comparison to the contract they have with Valve around Proton.
        I think they get most of their revenues from (rich) macOS users.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          I think they get most of their revenues from (rich) macOS users.
          But the "(rich) macOS users" have also no problem to buy a license of Parallels Desktop and Windows.

I think, what is missing is a mix between a Virtual Windows PC (Parallels, VirtualBox, KVM, QEmu, VMWare, Bochs, etc. ... with Windows) and WINE, where programs are not really emulated or virtualized.
          What I mean is fork of WINE, where the basis of WINE is used (kernel32.dll, KernelBase.dll, the way that *.exe and *.dll files are based on *.so files of the Linux or macOS system, etc) and the fonts, user32.dll, gdi32.dll, etc from a Windows ISO file. So by installing the WINE fork, the installer asks for a Windows ISO file.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
            What I mean is fork of WINE, where the basis of WINE is used (kernel32.dll, KernelBase.dll, the way that *.exe and *.dll files are based on *.so files of the Linux or macOS system, etc) and the fonts, user32.dll, gdi32.dll, etc from a Windows ISO file. So by installing the WINE fork, the installer asks for a Windows ISO file.
            Sorry as soon as you start using files from the Windows ISO you start needing a Windows license in most countries. Then you will run into the problem the windows License is not that flexible and only covers particular use cases. Yes so the included windows license covers vm and bare metal installs does not in fact cover hybridisation. Remember Microsoft license to have a license you have to activate product by valid means of course wine core parts are not going to generate acceptable hardware profile for activation.

Also you need to be careful there are quite a few things from winetricks where you run into legal issues in different countries as well and that before you get to ISO.

Basically this idea of you mentioned is a legal mine field many people have had the same idea and once they have got into the legal mine field has decided it not worth the headaches..

Comment

this very smart dev still think is a good idea to automatically adds certain mimetypes and file associations in wine by default

who is open image and PDFs with fake IE wine ?
              Last edited by Aryma; 12 March 2022, 04:12 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'd like to know how Wine64 can now execute 32 bit applications without x32 libs.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
                  I'd like to know how Wine64 can now execute 32 bit applications without x32 libs.
                  That is exactly what all this work converting stuff to PE format is for

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Sorry as soon as you start using files from the Windows ISO you start needing a Windows license in most countries. Then you will run into the problem the windows License is not that flexible and only covers particular use cases. Yes so the included windows license covers vm and bare metal installs does not in fact cover hybridisation. Remember Microsoft license to have a license you have to activate product by valid means of course wine core parts are not going to generate acceptable hardware profile for activation.

Also you need to be careful there are quite a few things from winetricks where you run into legal issues in different countries as well and that before you get to ISO.

Basically this idea of you mentioned is a legal mine field many people have had the same idea and once they have got into the legal mine field has decided it not worth the headaches..
                    But the other way around is allowed?

For example
                    - if you have a Windows XP and a Windows 10 license: Using the Windows XP minesweeper and solitaire, to run it on Windows 10.
                    - Replacing the Windows cmd.exe and notepad.exe with the one of ReactOS
                    - Replacing the Windows explorer.exe with the ReactOS explorer.exe
                    - Replacing some DLLs of Windows with the ReactOS DLLs.

But using Windows parts on Non-Windows systems is not allowed? Even if you have a license of that Windows version?

So running Windows XP minesweeper and solitaire on WINE is also not allowed?
                    Last edited by theuserbl; 12 March 2022, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X