X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ngraham
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    ngraham I was looking at the screenshot of the Firmware Security and it appears that Green is the good color and Red is the bad color...could Blue or Yellow be added for Not Supported? It seems disingenuous to label unsupported options as Red/Bad when they can't be turned Green/Good.
    Not a bad idea, but it's out of our hands; the data comes from the output of `fwupdmgr security --force`, which uses red for those. So you would need to file the issue here: https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Ukraine wanting to join NATO is the cause of the war, and NATO is in no way neutral in this conflict. NATO countries actively support Ukraine, even though no NATO soldiers are physically present in Ukraine.
    If NATO would be any threat to Russia, soldiers would be in Ukraine now. In fact, all NATO countries said, that they don't want any war with Russia. So what's the point invading Ukraine? Right: Putin said, it was a historical mistake to acknowledge Ukraine's independence from Russia in the past. Putin just wants the "good old days" back.

Leave a comment:

• sdack
    replied
    Originally posted by benjiro View Post
    The real reason for the war is ...
    No. The reason is Russia's leadership. There are other ways - good ways - than killing people in order to share and trade resources. The idea that most wars are simply based on resources is a nice fairy tale, a smokescreen in itself. Every country has its resources. Even the Moon and Mars have. People themselves are a resource - see China's workforce for example. Nor can one eat gas and oil, and all the money it gives you is subject to currency, value, trade, and one cannot eat money either.

This war is mainly about power, to demonstrate power and to hold onto power. It shows Putin's people who is "boss", it tells the Russian population that their country still matters and that it has might. It instils respect among the population and fear among the opposition. Putin uses aggression as a powerful tool to achieve this and it is how he creates security - by making others feel insecure.

Russia has been struggling with loss of power and territory. Being peaceful, and friendly to trade, when you are an autocracy just does not mix too well. People start thinking they could deal and trade with their government, which is not what an autocracy wants. There fighting off a rebellion is one thing. Taking back a former region that has established its independence, is a far more powerful demonstration of might. And Putin has a history of dealing with opposition in surprising aggressive ways, and this war is his latest attempt.

My personal fear is that he will hold on to the war for as long as he can, because the longer the terror goes the more it establishes his might and ultimately render Europe as powerless. If he can then crown his terror with the removal of the Ukrainian government and a complete occupation would this be seen by Russia and its historians as a major win. Only for now is the war still fresh and it may feel like the West is doing enough and that we could influence the outcome. But while we struggle to make sense of it, try to fight back in peaceful ways, will Putin only need to sink his teeth in, hold on and wait it out.

Putin has often shown himself as a "nature man", topless horseback riding or hunting in Siberia or as whatever. But not as a pea counter or a scrounger for resources. He has his people to do the counting. Now he is hunting after a big prey and I do not believe that he is mad or crazy. The price is not oil or gas. It is to cause fear and instability in Europe, and thereby to create a more secure Russian Federation. And he will get it unless Europe goes to war, and of course it will not do that, because of the nukes.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
    That's a statement! No filthy virtue signaling.
    Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I was being seriously sarcastic
    Lol. We really need to start using Comic Sans to imply sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You're replying in seriousness to sarcasm.
    I was being seriously sarcastic

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Another excuse on the bucketlist of reasons to throw dogshit at KDE, cos why not.
    You're replying in seriousness to sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Frenzie View Post

"Many Ukrainian KDE contributors haven't contributed over the past week or two because they are lazy slobs, preferring to focus on unimportant matters like their lives and safety. Unfortunately the speed of KDE development is affected by these selfish hoodlums. Let's hope they'll quit being lazy soon."
    Another excuse on the bucketlist of reasons to throw dogshit at KDE, cos why not.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Bull
    replied
    Let us all hope for peace, and remain united in our pursuit to build the finest and most humane software.
    That's a statement! No filthy virtue signaling.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    ngraham I was looking at the screenshot of the Firmware Security and it appears that Green is the good color and Red is the bad color...could Blue or Yellow be added for Not Supported? It seems disingenuous to label unsupported options as Red/Bad when they can't be turned Green/Good.

Tsb and Tbsp. That's some good shit right there. 100% serious.

I don't want to admit this one, but reading this week's blog I learned Ctrl+Esc. Just a hair faster than my usual method of typing out Win,K,S or the long form of Start>System>KSysGuard. I wish I wouldn't have glossed over that tidbit reading man pages in the past.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X