KDE Activity Lower This Week As Impact From The Russia-Ukraine War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

What can you do if this topic now touches almost every corner of life?
    take it to reddit.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Lol. We really need to start using Comic Sans to imply sarcasm.
      In Reddit style /s

Please, no Comic Sans otherwise it's the 1990s calling and all the terrible fashions that came with it.

Comment

It is not NATO fault that every single Russia neighbor is afraid of them. For hundreds of years Russia has conquered every single smaller nation around.
        If you are small country near Russia you will either obey and do what they want - or sooner or later you will have their tanks all over the place.
        And believe me you don't want to be conquered by them. Needless to say, here in Poland, we were more afraid or Russian than German troops during WW2 (not that Germans were good for us in any way).

The only one responsible for NATO expansion is Russia themselves. Look at Sweden and Finland. Even if they take Ukraine, Sweden and Finland will probably join NATO because they are afraid now. Not because NATO wants to invade Russia anytime soon. I bet they would probably be more interested in doing business like Germany did for the past 20 years or so.
        Last edited by sobrus; 05 March 2022, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
          It is not NATO fault that every single Russia neighbor is afraid of them. For hundreds of years Russia has conquered every single smaller nation around.
          If you are small country near Russia you will either obey and do what they want - or sooner or later you will have their tanks all over the place.
          And believe me you don't want to be conquered by them. Needless to say, here in Poland, we were more afraid or Russian than German troops during WW2 (not that Germans were good for us in any way).

The only one responsible for NATO expansion is Russia themselves. Look at Sweden and Finland. Even if they take Ukraine, Sweden and Finland will probably join NATO because they are afraid now. Not because NATO wants to invade Russia anytime soon. I bet they would probably be more interested in doing business like Germany did for the past 20 years or so.
          The difference between the Germans and Russian's is that the German's have mandatory teaching in high school showing them exactly what Hitler did, and by showing I mean they see the full ugly side of it. A lot of German's still feel very guilty of what they did in the past, but the positive part of this is that they learnt the wrongs of what they did and they have also acted on it (for example the German legal system was completely changed to make it impossible for a person like Hitler to actually get into power).

The Russians on the other hand pretty much white washed what Lenin/Stalin did. Most people think its bad on some level but they are not showing in Russian in schools how Stalin starved 8 million Ukranians and all the other terrible things the previous leaders did. In Russia you don't have school trips going to the gulag's showing what happened like you have in Germany with the camps.

If Russian government did what the German government did, i.e. own up to their past mistakes properly and actually action on them then someone like Putin wouldn't have even been able to take power.
          Last edited by mdedetrich; 05 March 2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

To those in Ukraine, Our prayers are with you, I hope this ends soon.

To those in Russia, you generally rock, just ignore these idiots that want to take out the mistakes of the rich and famous on the little guys.

To those calling for more war/weapons/fighting/sanctions etc, please put your head in a plastic bucket and have someone smash it with a sledge hammer until you stfu.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

The difference between the Germans and Russian's is that the German's have mandatory teaching in high school showing them exactly what Hitler did, and by showing I mean they see the full ugly side of it.
              The thing about western people is that they have a passion to hate a historical figure like hitler. Yeah sure, he did bad things. But please keep yoir emotion in check in academic environment.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
              Putin wouldn't have even been able to take power.
              Putin made great contributions to russia from fall of ussr. I can't see how russia can stand on their own feet without putin

Comment

It is reasonable to assume that at least some Russian contributors to KDE oppose Putin and his murderous war, just as I opposed GW Bush and his war in Iraq. Those contributors are likely to be too busy to work on software or anything other than survival right now. Russians who oppose Putin are under siege right now, some could even be fugitives. Back in Spring 2020 I was suddenly no longer able to contribute much to MATE because I had to flee a governor beating his chest about sending people to prison for leaving their homes against his stay at home order. I can easily see anti-Putin Russians being in the exact same situation only worse. I didn't have to worry about IP address tracking as leaving the state prior to the stay at home taking effect (by hours) did not make me a fugitive. Hackers who have been in antiwar protests in Russia definately have to worry about that. I had to worry about "last mile" problems with getting a connection in remote campgrounds. They have to worry about getting any connection of any kind that can reach outside of Russia.

If anyone asks why I support Ukraine and oppose Putin I answer that its for the same reasons I supported El Salvador against Reagan and Iraq against two Bush's and Clinton. To support armed resistance to one empire but not another would be an exercise in hypocrisy. As for Putin, he looks to me like a mix of GW Bush's foreign policy with Trump's domestic policy. I still have the remnants of a battle injury from a showdown with the Proud Boys on Nov 14, 2020, one of three times I was nearly killed fighting what Trump stands for. In Russia its even worse, with reports of heavy-duty torture aimed at anti-Putin activists and small children terrorized by police for participating in antiwar protests. Well, that last part is comparable to Trump and his family separation policy aimed at deterring migration. We shut that down at considerable effort and cost.

Comment

Putin made great contributions to russia from fall of ussr. I can't see how russia can stand on their own feet without putin
                  Nope.
                  The only thing he did to make Russia "look" great is the system of propaganda he built.
                  Any other improvement during his reign was thanks to high price of oil and gas. And the West is also to blame for that. Who has been financing this regime for decades? Who has been refusing to arrest oligarchs' property until recently? I am not condoning the Russians but they have an excuse which is a nonstop brainwashing since 1999.

Comment

QT banned Russian developers! And it is unfortunate that politics has prevailed over common sense!

Comment

Originally posted by h0tc0d3 View Post
                      QT banned Russian developers! And it is unfortunate that politics has prevailed over common sense!
                      Are you serious? Did you even read the article?

QT did not ban Russian developers. Russian developers are having problems with the internet because their own government is slowly cutting them off from the rest of the world (even digitally) which is whats causing issues for them to contribute (among others).

Comment

Working...
                      X