Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Launches A New MDN, MDN Plus Coming Soon

Phoronix: Mozilla Launches A New MDN, MDN Plus Coming Soon

The Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) has been an invaluable resource over the years for web developers with a plethora of open, detailed documentation on a wide variety of HTMl, CSS, and JavaScript features along with extensive Web API references. While MDN has suffered setbacks from recent Mozilla layoffs, today the organization is launching their new MDN and reaffirming that MDN Plus will be announced soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Reminding everyone that Mozilla executive pay continued to grow through those layoffs. Look up how much they get paid and ask yourself whether Mozilla's leadership is worth that much money.

Comment

Here's a joke for my fellow Grammar and Punctuation Nazis:

If you’ve accessed the MDN website today, you probably noticed that it looks quite different. We hope it’s a good different. Let us explain!
      That should be "Let us exclaim!".

As a Firefox user all I can hope for is that this has positive benefits.

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Reminding everyone that Mozilla executive pay continued to grow through those layoffs. Look up how much they get paid and ask yourself whether Mozilla's leadership is worth that much money.
      I believe that you just described every company

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        If you are doing such comparisons. then you should be comparing executive pay across similar size tech non-profits in high cost of living areas to draw a meaningful comparison and see whether the executive pay is covered through fund raising managed by said leadership which is typically a requirement for non-profits to be sustainable. Realistically, the only major alternative is managed by Google and Google executive pay is definitely higher. So you may look at high numbers and scoff, it is worth putting things in context.

Comment

If it works, don't fix it. This doesn't bode well.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

If you are doing such comparisons. then you should be comparing executive pay across similar size tech non-profits in high cost of living areas to draw a meaningful comparison and see whether the executive pay is covered through fund raising managed by said leadership which is typically a requirement for non-profits to be sustainable. Realistically, the only major alternative is managed by Google and Google executive pay is definitely higher. So you may look at high numbers and scoff, it is worth putting things in context.
            You could do that, but why let reason stand in the way of a good hating?

I've actually looked into this, it all started with: https://calpaterson.com/mozilla.html
            But a more reputable site puts that paycheck an order of magnitude lower: https://www.comparably.com/companies...utive-salaries

A more pertinent question would be why is that lady being paid just to oversee a steady decline in browser share?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              A more pertinent question would be why is that lady being paid just to oversee a steady decline in browser share?
              Marketshare is of course a lot more complex than any one individual is responsible for. There are other factors including advertiser funding monopolies at play here. So the real pertinent question would be, is leadership getting paid proportional to the value they are bringing and if there are other better alternatives. A good analysis of that would be very interesting to read but tough to produce.

Comment

Marketshare is of course a lot more complex than any one individual is responsible for. There are other factors including advertiser funding monopolies at play here. So the real pertinent question would be, is leadership getting paid proportional to the value they are bringing and if there are other better alternatives. A good analysis of that would be very interesting to read but tough to produce.
                Ad revenue depends on market share. After all these years at the helm, you'd expect to see at least some bumps in that downward slope
                It's possible she brings value in other areas, but I don't have high hopes for that.

Comment

I can tell you the kind of executives I've seen working in the private sector for much less, and delivering much more, with similar stake. “I had to lay them off even though they were productive” is incompatible with “I had to increase my own compensation” in 2020. Maybe in 2021 it'd make more sense, but in 2020 it was just an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ad revenue depends on market share. After all these years at the helm, you'd expect to see at least some bumps in that downward slope
                    It's possible she brings value in other areas, but I don't have high hopes for that.
                    I wasn't talking about the ad revenue of Mozilla, I was talking about the ad revenue of Google which it uses to promote Chrome heavily.

Mozilla originally rose up in marketshare when IE team was basically disbanded completely. Having an aggressively competing browser both technically and in heavily outspend marketing is bound to reduce marketshare for Mozilla. I doubt anyone in Mozilla leadership could really stop that bleeding completely. Google just has way more resources.

They have been trying to diversify with various efforts (the latest being their VPN service) over the years and most of them haven't panned out as they hoped. Some of the technical work has become successful including Rust which they funded for a while but that is a long term bet, not a short term revenue boost. You need millions of dollars more to move the needle.

Comment

Working...
                    X