MPlayer 1.5 Released To Advance This Open-Source Video Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I want my media player to be contained in a Snap or a Flatpak package and run confined, also maybe use things like seccomp or AppArmor.
    And I want snapd to run in a Flatpak and flatpaks to run inside snaps. You know, for added security.
    Wth does any of that have to do with a new mplayer release?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

On the contrary, the bar for what is considered best practice from software developers have continue to rise and there is now a lot more recognition of the security risks and media players are getting better with time in supporting hardening features and the ecosystem around it have improved to support a number of mitigation efforts. If it requires a whole lot of extra effort from users, it should be considered a bug given that most users aren't going out of their way to be security conscious and it would be unrealistic to ever expect that to change.
      As an end-user I'd give that more likes if I could. I wish more distributions had security in mind.

The only time I care about getting all the performance is when gaming. With modern hardware "all the performance" is relatively meaningless...by modern I mean a Zen/Skylake CPU with a 570/1050 ti or better GPU....by meaningless I mean that they all do HD with high frame rates. With that in mind: better to err on the side of caution.

Comment

"WARNING: THIS SNAP IS UNMAINTAINED. CONTACT ME IF YOU WISH TO MAINTAIN IT."
        "Last updated: 3 August 2017"
        I can vouch for the Flatpak one. In my case, my media player setup is:
        1. Install Kubuntu Linux
        2. Rip out snappy, transplant the APT rule from Linux Mint that keeps it from coming back, and install Flatpak from the PPA and the KDE Discover plugin (for updates)
        3. Install io.mpv.Mpv via the flatpak install CLI command so I see a "Do these permissions look good?" prompt that's missing from the GNOME Software and KDE Discover plugins.
        4. Install Flatseal (for convenience over the included CLI), turn off network access for MPV, replace device=all ("All devices (e.g. webcam)") with device=dri ("GPU acceleration"), and set filesystem access to host:ro (Everything, but read-only) so more complex EDL file and subtitle situations can still work without waiting for them to hammer out a design for an XDG portal that allows access to neighbouring files.
        5. Run my proof-of-concept script to re-introduce wrappers that allow Flatpak-installed apps to be launched in a terminal via their usual command names. (These wrappers also use --file-forwarding, so, if you don't need EDLs or subtitle files or playlists, you can remove host:ro and it'll still work by having Flatpak grant access to the files you specify on the command-line on-the-fly. You need my proof-of-concept script because the Flatpak developers have declared managing collisions when not using reverse-DNS command names to be out-of-scope. Mine can ignore that because, as a proof-of-concept, it can say "I trust the user will be prescient enough to never install two packages which expose the same command name".)
        Last edited by ssokolow; 01 March 2022, 12:15 PM.

Comment

"WARNING: THIS SNAP IS UNMAINTAINED. CONTACT ME IF YOU WISH TO MAINTAIN IT."
          "Last updated: 3 August 2017"
          So you use the one from Flatpak, which he also provided, but you willfully ignored.

Comment

I would assume that if there would be wide spread hacks via video files played on players we would know about it? Sounds a bit to me like the story that china placed some microscopic chips inside some IT Hardware which seems to be not happend in the case they talked about it in the end.

Comment

I want my media player to be contained in a Snap or a Flatpak package and run confined, also maybe use things like seccomp or AppArmor.
              You would have to get your hands durty but Firejail is a better solution than Snap/Flatpak/chroot and still easier than AppArmor/SELinux.

I found profiles for MPV and VLC but didn't see anything about mplayer in my quick search results.

Tight Firejail profiles. Contribute to chiraag-nataraj/firejail-profiles development by creating an account on GitHub.

Linux namespaces and seccomp-bpf sandbox. Contribute to netblue30/firejail development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Sandboxing is the exact reason MPlayerX left appstore
                You can't hope a sandboxed player reading lrc/srt/ssa files at the same directory.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  Sandboxing is the exact reason MPlayerX left appstore
                  You can't hope a sandboxed player reading lrc/srt/ssa files at the same directory.
                  That is different. It is Apple rejecting applications because of their requested permissions and just saying "no, no, no". On Snap and Flatthub the developers can publish apps with whatever permissions they want.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Is that a joke, is there some exploit involving rogue code embedded in Dragon Ball Z MKV's, a bit of both?

I only ask because the voice in my head has a sarcastic tone when reading that.
                    Too many are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

You would have to get your hands durty but Firejail is a better solution than Snap/Flatpak/chroot and still easier than AppArmor/SELinux.

I found profiles for MPV and VLC but didn't see anything about mplayer in my quick search results.

https://github.com/chiraag-nataraj/f...er/mpv.profile
                      https://github.com/netblue30/firejai...-z/vlc.profile
                      Firejail uses the same cgroups-based sandboxing as Flatpak, but with less strict containment, because it can't rely on the application only depending on the libraries it either bundles or gets from the provided application runtime. (Seriously. Firejail's --whitelist only affects $HOME and, if you want to whitelist anything outside there.. such as a /mnt path that your user has write access to, you need to manually build up an equivalent list of --blacklist calls.)

Also, that MPV profile isn't as strict as what I laid out with Flatpak even with host:ro instead of the XDG portal system.

Heck, Flatpak uses its own equivalent to Firejail called Bubblewrap... though Bubblewrap presents a lower-level, more limited API and expects you to use it in concert with other tools, while Firejail bundles equivalents to a bunch of Flatpak components into a single binary with a higher-level API.

My approach is to use Flatpak for open-source applications and Firejail for GOG.com games.

Comment

Working...
                      X