Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPlayer 1.5 Released To Advance This Open-Source Video Player

Phoronix: MPlayer 1.5 Released To Advance This Open-Source Video Player

After not seeing a new release for nearly three years, MPlayer 1.5 was released this past weekend for this open-source media player...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want my media player to be contained in a Snap or a Flatpak package and run confined, also maybe use things like seccomp or AppArmor.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I want my media player to be contained in a Snap or a Flatpak package and run confined, also maybe use things like seccomp or AppArmor.

Has Google stopped working?

Comment

Is that a joke, is there some exploit involving rogue code embedded in Dragon Ball Z MKV's, a bit of both?

I only ask because the voice in my head has a sarcastic tone when reading that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Is that a joke
          I don't think they are familiar with UNIX/Linux and standard technologies such as chroot or Jails.

Comment

Is that a joke, is there some exploit involving rogue code embedded in Dragon Ball Z MKV
            Security vulnerabilities of Mplayer Mplayer : List of all related CVE security vulnerabilities. CVSS Scores, vulnerability details and links to full CVE details and references.

Media player exploits around carefully crafted media causing arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities are fairly common. I have no reason to suspect this is any kind of joke. Everyone should be careful about playing arbitrary untrusted content if they are not relying on sandboxing.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Get the latest version of mpv for Linux - A free, open source, and cross-platform media player

Has Google stopped working?
              "WARNING: THIS SNAP IS UNMAINTAINED. CONTACT ME IF YOU WISH TO MAINTAIN IT."
              "Last updated: 3 August 2017"

Is that a joke, is there some exploit involving rogue code embedded in Dragon Ball Z MKV's, a bit of both?

I only ask because the voice in my head has a sarcastic tone when reading that.
              No, I fear exploits in media files.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I don't think they are familiar with UNIX/Linux and standard technologies such as chroot or Jails.
              I don't want to have to configure anything myself, or drop to the terminal and execute my media player there using special commands.
              I want that when I double click on a media file it opens the media player which runs securely confined.

Comment

I don't want to have to configure anything myself
                If you put in no effort, you will always be two steps behind in terms of security (and many other things).

I get the idea of "low effort computing". But it isn't feasible yet and probably never will be.

Comment

No, I fear exploits in media files.
                  Gotcha. When I see the phrase "I want my" it is instantly followed by "I want my MTVeeeeeeeeeee" which gives anything following a bit of a playful tone.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

If you put in no effort, you will always be two steps behind in terms of security (and many other things).

I get the idea of "low effort computing". But it isn't feasible yet and probably never will be.
                    On the contrary, the bar for what is considered best practice from software developers have continue to rise and there is now a lot more recognition of the security risks and media players are getting better with time in supporting hardening features and the ecosystem around it have improved to support a number of mitigation efforts. If it requires a whole lot of extra effort from users, it should be considered a bug given that most users aren't going out of their way to be security conscious and it would be unrealistic to ever expect that to change.

Comment

Working...
                    X