dav1d 1.0 AV1 Video Decoder Nears Release With AVX-512 Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dav1d 1.0 AV1 Video Decoder Nears Release With AVX-512 Acceleration

Phoronix: dav1d 1.0 AV1 Video Decoder Nears Release With AVX-512 Acceleration

Dav1d as the leading CPU-based, open-source AV1 video decoder developed by the VideoLAN project is nearing its v1.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope content providers will keep in mind there will be billions of devices for years to come that can't manage AV1 properly and plan for it accordingly by offering alternative formats if they're self publishing (youtube, et al already does this).

Comment

Maybe DAV1D will now begin work on RISC-V vector extension support.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        I hope content providers will keep in mind there will be billions of devices for years to come that can't manage AV1 properly and plan for it accordingly by offering alternative formats if they're self publishing (youtube, et al already does this).
        YouTube offers H.264 for resolution at and below 1080p. 1440p and above are VP9/AV1 exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          considering my shitty celeron n3050 can almost decode 1080p at 30fps thankfully that shouldn't be much of an issue

Comment

So let me get this straight:
            AVX - the initial release from 2008, not really targeted anymore
            AVX2 - expanded to 256 bit + more functionality, from 2013/Haswell era - this is what one usually means when saying "AVX".
            AVX-512 - expanded to 512 bit, very small market share, mostly targeting servers and such.

Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

YouTube offers H.264 for resolution at and below 1080p. 1440p and above are VP9/AV1 exclusively.
              What's your point? Most of the devices (phones) I'm talking about probably can't do better than 720p @ 30Hz as a practical matter anyway. My original point stands. Youtube and similar services automatically transcode the content to make it available to lower end or older devices without hardware acceleration for VP9 and AV1. I reiterate, self published video providers should keep in mind the billions of devices still in use that can't view those formats if they want those devices to be able to view the content. No, telling people to buy a new phone isn't going to work. They'll blow you off (rightfully so).
              Last edited by stormcrow; 28 February 2022, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                this is what one usually means when saying "AVX".
                Incorrect.

Comment

AVX2 - expanded to 256 bit + more functionality, from 2013/Haswell era - this is what one usually means when saying "AVX".
                  AVX-512 - expanded to 512 bit, very small market share, mostly targeting servers and such.

Correct?
                  Mmm, I think AVX means AVX and AVX2 means AVX2.

Its also important to note that AVX-512 is quite fragmented, hence its a more nebulous term than AVX2. Wikichip made a good chart:

avx512_uarchs.png

The git commit comments suggest dav1d is targeting Ice Lake (aka Sunny Cove/Intel 10th gen)... but I don't know if it's actually a subset that would work on, say, Skylake-SP?

Comment

Correct?
                    AVX is already 256 bits for most instructions. AVX2, among other things, adds many instructions for integer operations.

Comment

Working...
                    X