No announcement yet.

KDE Had An Exciting Week With Plasma Available On The Steam Deck, Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Had An Exciting Week With Plasma Available On The Steam Deck, Many Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Had An Exciting Week With Plasma Available On The Steam Deck, Many Fixes

KDE developers are surely celebrating this weekend now that Valve's Steam Deck is shipping and KDE Plasma is the default desktop in the "developer mode". But in any event it's been another busy week for KDE developers with fixes and improvements to their open-source desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i guess kde had much to celebrate after getting trashed by the tech mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by lelele View Post
      Um, what?

Comment

Damn. They removed my spacebar heater.

I use that notification at logon to know if I need to go to the other room and power cycle the cable modem. It's been especially handy the past two weeks because they're running new lines in my neighborhood (Power, phone, and internet based on the trucks driving around).

Will it still give the popup on logon if the status is "Connection Activated; Limited/No Internet"? That's all I really need.

Comment

I hope that valve will be committing some people to plasma support so everyone can benefit, but I also appreciate that they don’t really have much reason to do so

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Will it still give the popup on logon if the status is "Connection Activated; Limited/No Internet"? That's all I really need.
            If you don't have internet access, you still get a message.

Comment

What do you mean? I haven't seen anyone trash KDE yet on the Steam Deck.

Comment

Let's hope for the KDE devs and others from that region to remain unharmed from that barbaric raid that's taking place.

Comment

I watched every single review to the point I'm tired. KDE wasn't much of a focus there. If something is being trashed is the Steam UI itself or lacking compatibility with certain games, errors and quirks in general. What Plasma was used for by most, was getting some apps from Flatpak using Discover, like Discord or emulators and then adding them to Steam. I've even seen some nice comment of one reviewer being surprised that the desktop interface is user-friendly and it's really simple to install apps.

I don't think the Linux environment will be praised by the tech mainstream, but I don't see any reason for that to be considered unusable by a normie... At least for stuff that's easily doable.

Comment

Trashed with good reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X