NetworkManager 1.36 Released With 5G NR Modem Support, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 1.36 Released With 5G NR Modem Support, Other Improvements

Phoronix: NetworkManager 1.36 Released With 5G NR Modem Support, Other Improvements

NetworkManager 1.36 is now available for this widely-used software for managing Linux wired and wireless network connections...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice improvements but it should also support metered connections for use with mobile WiFI tethering. This should inhibit the download of large repo lists with packagekitd and the installation of not security critical updates while on the road. Desktop instant messaging clients should also recognize that this is not the domestic, unlimited WiFi to avoid the download of unnecessary video previews, large images or videos. Would be as convenient as the selection of firewalld zones.

Comment

Originally posted by Schugy View Post
      Nice improvements but it should also support metered connections for use with mobile WiFI tethering. This should inhibit the download of large repo lists with packagekitd and the installation of not security critical updates while on the road. Desktop instant messaging clients should also recognize that this is not the domestic, unlimited WiFi to avoid the download of unnecessary video previews, large images or videos. Would be as convenient as the selection of firewalld zones.
      That would be a nice feature. As someone with a limited phone wireless plan it would be nice if there was a metered flag passed with tethering.

Just think, we're thinking how great a flag to notify that a metered connection is in use would be while Google is removing their lite mode in Chrome because unlimited plans are starting to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That would be a nice feature.
        The NetworkManager developers came to the same conclusion and implemented it 6+ years ago:

$> qdbus-qt5 --system org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2 org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Interface
        wlp6s0
        Android WiFi:
        $> qdbus-qt5 --system org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2 org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Metered
        Router WiFi
        $> qdbus-qt5 --system org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2 org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Metered

3: Guess-Yes
        4: Guess-No

Comment

I fear there is no news on how to do something as simple as plugging a modern wifi dongle on a laptop supporting only the older standards, disable the laptop wifi hardware and use just the usb connected one.

Currently, as soon as you disable the laptop wifi card, NM shuts off all of its wifi management even if there is another card enabled.

And if you do not disable the laptop internal wifi, it is not just a matter of a polluted display because every network is duplicated among the two cards... you cannot reliably connect automatically preferring the modern card. The one that gets to the connection first wins.

Comment

That's nice to know.

It's been around 8 years since I used metered tethering so I wasn't sure. Most all the tethering I've done more recent than that was using my phone as a WiFi NIC. Disable #G, connect to local WiFi on phone, and tether that to a PC or laptop.

Comment

Working...
            X