KDE Developers Had A Very Busy Valentine's Week With Many Plasma Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I do have minimize/maximize buttons. Not sure, if I enabled this...
    You do have image preview, but you have to click on the image.

Many other things can be customized.
    I get it, that Gnome is not your first choice. That's why more classical Desktops like KDE, Cinnamon, Mate are here and KDE could be a much better desktop, if they wouldn't make beginner mistakes.
    To have these buttons you have to install an extension (if you uses ubuntu this extension came by default), but it's not the vanilla gnome anymore. And the extension gets broken every Gnome update because they don't respect developers with a good API. In plasma, you have a simple drag and drop interface to change the position or what kind of actions all windows will have.

But the biggest problem of Gnome or Mac Os is the lack of customization, you have to fit the way they think you should do things. Plasma will fit your needs, and I think my computer would fit my needs not the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post
      To have these buttons you have to install an extension (if you uses ubuntu this extension came by default), but it's not the vanilla gnome anymore.
      I'm using Fedora and I didn't install any extension, only Gnome Tweak Tool.[/quote]

But the biggest problem of Gnome or Mac Os is the lack of customization, you have to fit the way they think you should do things. Plasma will fit your needs, and I think my computer would fit my needs not the other way.
      Good design and UX choices help a lot in order to have a minimalistic software/desktop, so you don't need that much options. Gnome could do some things better and might offer a little bit more customization, yes, I agree. But I don't like the KDE way: Offering hundreds of options and don't invest much time in UX and then have to find and fix bugs which came from the hundreds of options. Pretty difficult to maintain...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Can't you just add an option in system settings, just like other notifications? Plasma is supposed to be customizable, you know. But alright, apparently you think it's a good idea to have people squint at a tiny system tray icon to see if they're connected…
        Is it too much of an ask to say you should patch it and recompile? I mean I just had to do the same thing to fix libinput's awful hysteresis and acceleration profile.

Comment

Pleased to report that with 5.24.1 and Frameworks 5.91, Plasma no longer crashes when the screen has been off for a few hours.

Unfortunately the regression is still present where the system sometimes freezes when double clicking to make certain apps (mpv, gwenview) fullscreen. Apparently not va-api related as I'd thought since I have that disabled now.

Edit: Second unfortunately: it appears plasmashell creates a fake screen at 1080p, which would be fine if my display was 1080p. My display is 2160p and all the widgets have been shifted around to fit 1080p when I turn the display back on. When I have a bit more time I'll trawl through the bug tracker again and report these if not there already.
          Last edited by ResponseWriter; 21 February 2022, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I studied this all the way back at Uni when doing a UX elective and there are plenty of papers on it which I would have to find it. The basic premise though is that "natural" is basically a synonym for patterns that are found in nature which humans have evolutionary speaking seek to identify via pattern recognition.

Like think of it another way, why does "lag" or "stutter" in something like a game feel unnatural? Its because in the standard physical world that we tend to experience, things don't physically move that way.
            I see. interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              If developers would implement every bad user wish, it would be very soon totally cluttered and totally unmaintainable and buggy..
              Don't you see that this was already implemented, but now removed by ngraham? So I'm not asking to implement a wish, I'm asking to retain the current implementation, at least as an option.

Comment

xkcd 1172 has never been more appropriate.

workflow.png

Comment

That's an strawman at its best.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Don't you see that this was already implemented, but now removed by ngraham? So I'm not asking to implement a wish, I'm asking to retain the current implementation, at least as an option.
                    It was not already implemented.

What we had before was a configurable option to never show "Connection Activated" notifications ever under any circumstances, as a part of our generally configurable notification system. In addition to this, there was a hardcoded exception to not even send "Connection Activated" notifications in the first place when the system wakes from sleep. If this is not working for you, it's actually a bug, not a deliberate design decision. What was added was a second condition under which the system doesn't send a "Connection Activated" notification. Why? Because it's not relevant. On boot, you *expect* your network connection to be automatically connected. If you don't, it means your system is experiencing a catastrophically low level of stability that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
                      Graham,

If you are reading this, my only complaint is about kRunner and Search. Please, let it be to have an option to fix the size of them instead of let them change dynamically their size. The animation is ugly and unnecessarily slow down the keystrokes, also, if the search results get bigger, a list is the natural presentation form, anyway.

Rest of KDE is already awesome and getting even better by day.

Congrats to all KDE developers.
                      Hi acobar, there were some optimizations for krunner that landed very recently so at least it will not slow down when you start typing and will much more lighter if you don't use the heavy weight runners (calc, dictionary) a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X