Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.46 Released With Critical Bug Fixes, Better Sound Sharing With Zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.46 Released With Critical Bug Fixes, Better Sound Sharing With Zoom

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.46 Released With Critical Bug Fixes, Better Sound Sharing With Zoom

PipeWire continues with its rapid sequence of releases in continuing to fine-tune this audio/video stream server for the Linux desktop so it can successfully address the roles long-served by the likes of PulseAudio and JACK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool that they fixed the zoom issues. While I do use pipewire, I don't use it on the computer I use zoom on. So I wasn't affected. Still awesome to see the quick progress pipewire is making.

Overall pipewire has worked well for me, with some weird exceptions related to selecting the wrong default audio device sometimes (but not in a sensible reproducible bug-reportable way unfortunately).

Comment

I need to check but I think I got hit by that devices not being listed bug. 0.3.44 worked fine on a custom kernel (a 5.16 one so it's not old) but 0.3.45 suddenly died with errors about not detecting the sound devices even though all the drivers were loaded and ALSA could see the card.

Comment

Can PipeWire use PulseAudio modules, or does it at least have a multi-channel convolution engine that can be used for surround sound virtualization? PA got a huge update to their virtual-surround module and it's amazing. Sounds as good as HeSuVi on windows and does 7.1 without compromises. I use it with the OOYH (out of your head) HRIR and it's incredible how much it sounds like I've got a set of speakers all around me, even though I just got a pair of nice cans on my ears.

Comment

I'm waiting for it to work with a52 encoded output. Then I can finally make the switch from pulseaudio.

Comment

You could say I'm a pipewire early adaptor. Installed it on my laptop and MediaPC/Server doing both jobs very well; Laptop: speakers/headphones mostly browsing, MediaPC/server: HDMI/soundbar with browsing, streaming, movies music and games. Didn't have to tweak or uninstall it and replace it again with pulseaudio since I start using it. But Wireplumber is a work in progress. Tried it three times now, each time I had to replace it, because of major issues. Not entirely sure what the benefit of Wireplumber is as the default was just there, with no problems.

Edit: Archlinux has it already, updating now.
            Last edited by markus40; 17 February 2022, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              I need to check but I think I got hit by that devices not being listed bug. 0.3.44 worked fine on a custom kernel (a 5.16 one so it's not old) but 0.3.45 suddenly died with errors about not detecting the sound devices even though all the drivers were loaded and ALSA could see the card.
              This should have been fixed though it didn't die on me but just presented no devices at all.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
                Can PipeWire use PulseAudio modules, or does it at least have a multi-channel convolution engine that can be used for surround sound virtualization? PA got a huge update to their virtual-surround module and it's amazing. Sounds as good as HeSuVi on windows and does 7.1 without compromises. I use it with the OOYH (out of your head) HRIR and it's incredible how much it sounds like I've got a set of speakers all around me, even though I just got a pair of nice cans on my ears.
                PW reimplements PA APIs, so in theory those modules should work but I haven't tested.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

PW reimplements PA APIs, so in theory those modules should work but I haven't tested.
                  It implements the client API, not the plugin API. Some pulseaudio modules have been ported though.

Comment

Originally posted by markus40 View Post
                    Not entirely sure what the benefit of Wireplumber is as the default was just there, with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X